We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is proof of age required for the pubs/clubs?

London, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Is proof of age required for the pubs/clubs?

My 18 year old son and lots of his friends are about to arrive in Kavos.Though he is quite sensible I do not like the idea of him taking his passport to pubs/clubs in order to prove his age. Is it required please?

Sheffield
Level Contributor
278 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is proof of age required for the pubs/clubs?

Seriously doubt they will be asked for ID anywhere outside of the UK or North America and especially not in any of the 18-30s type resorts, They will not be the youngest there.

Edited: 24 June 2013, 11:19
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is proof of age required for the pubs/clubs?

The passport of my oldest son got unbelievably trashed by taking it to clubs on the islands. Damaged beyond comprehension; water (well liquid) soaked, stained, bent, torn. Matters were made worse because the nightclubber in question was my youngest son who had ahem borrowed it. And it was never needed for ID.

Lancashire
Level Contributor
320 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is proof of age required for the pubs/clubs?

You could always get a copy of the page with his details on, scanned or photo copied if you think he would need it.

London, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is proof of age required for the pubs/clubs?

Thank you all for your .answers and help, I feared I would be ridiculed for being so naive.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sidari
Level Contributor
3,556 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is proof of age required for the pubs/clubs?

You certainly wouldn't get ridiculed Cammorkids.....it is a sensible question and very relevant in the UK.

Do what Trishanne has suggested...take a copy of it (I always take copies....just in case!...Unfortunately for me, no-one would ask my age, except in a supermarket in the UK...to which my response was 'I think you might need to try Specsavers next time! ')

Hope your son and his friends have a great time in Kavos

Fi x

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,794 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is proof of age required for the pubs/clubs?

trust me i am a greek.typically you have to be 18.the reality is no one cares and no one will check you ,especially in kavos.

the problems in kavos and places like that are different.drinking rediculously cheap for 5 euros a can or whatever means you can't expect your alcohol will be good.it will be certainly mixed (boba as we call it) to be cheaper..of course young british who are there to party on a tight budget don't know that or don't care.i am sure if they knew how damaging it was they wouldn't do it.we greeks never drink in those places as it's damaging for the brain and despise the bar owners in that places that do that.

in my opinion these places should be shut down as they give a bad name to greece

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is proof of age required for the pubs/clubs?

Thanks athanasios m, for that rather chilling message.

I was idly wondering about that the other day when I saw some of the very cheap 'cocktail specials' on offer in some tavernas. There have been a spat of problems recently on Bali with ultra-cheap alcohol and some nasty events where methyl alcohol (aka anti-freeze) has been used to cut low cost alcohol, and that particular brew blinds or kills you.

Rubbing alcohol (isopropyl) is another type but also nasty. Drinking rubbing alcohol can cause alcohol poisoning. The symptoms of alcohol poisoning are vomiting, confusion, slow breathing (less than eight breaths per minute), seizures, low body temperature, pale or blueish skin and unconsciousness. All of these symptoms will not necessarily be present in every case of alcohol poisoning. In cases of isopropyl ingestion, because of its strong effect on the central nervous system, a person may experience lethargy or ataxia, or may go into a coma. Because isopropyl also affects the GI tract, a person who has drunk it can have stomach pain, cramps and hemorrhagic gastritis. Someone who has ingested rubbing alcohol will also have a fruity smell to his or her breath

I did a search on "boba" because it is the first time I have heard of it. I found the following at 'THE GREECE SURVIVAL GUIDE'

As human being we all have to find a way to release our stress most find it easy to meet friends for drinks during cocktail hour and even make it an evening affair . This is all fun and good but do you really know what your drinking?

Now as most know when in Mexico don't drink the water!!!

Well I'm telling you when in Athens don't drink to alcohol

To locals this information is common but to the rest of the world not so much!!

1. meet friends at bar

2. have a vodka + orange juice

3. have another

4. felling super drunk ??

5. have another

6. make bad decisions

7. wake up with a killer headache

8. and sometimes spend all day throwing up

Boba ...aka poison.. aka a common drink at your local bar

Sound familiar yes my friends you have experienced the Greek poison boba!!!!

A typical person can drink between 2-3 drinks and get slightly tipsy with good pure alcohol

but when cheated and your bottle is replaced with basically rubbing alcohol or gas fumes well don't expect to be on your a game the next day!!!

My advice stick with beer or wine!!!!!

8. Re: Is proof of age required for the pubs/clubs?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Kavos
Recent Conversations