We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coming back to North Uist

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
1,884 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Coming back to North Uist

Coming back for a 4 day break to North Uist, after my jaunt of last year. Apart from Balranald are there any other good birdwatching places or places to see wildlife. I have a new super dooper camera that I am hoping to make the most of

Anyone advise the latest petrol prices on the island

8 replies to this topic
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
440 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coming back to North Uist

Berneray! If you go to the long beach on the west side of Berneray (about 12 miles from Lochmaddy) take a walk along the sand, looking for otter prints/spraint. The otters there are seen regularly through the day and there's a spot towards the northern (or north western) end of the beach which rises a bit, giving great views over the beach. Make yourself a hide there and you'll have a good chance of otters and keep your eyes open for dolphins, whales and sea birds.

You obviously know about Balranald, but also check out Vallay Strand and Loch Aulasary for a variety of sea birds and waders.

Edited: 06 March 2012, 19:49
Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Coming back to North Uist

We've always enjoyed Loch Druidibeg area. It is a nice a walk along B890 to the coast and we have seen short eared owls and eagles along this stretch.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,803 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coming back to North Uist

You sometimes see golden eagles from the Committee Road. I don't know the number, but it's the road that goes from Claddach Kirkibost to just west of Sollas

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
1,884 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coming back to North Uist

Thanks for the quick replies. I have only ever seen an otter once and yes it was on the beach at Berneray. I intend to do the "Berneray walk" again this year so may be lucky again

i have been to loch Druidbeg before and loved the wild Eriskay ponies

that were there. Been to seal island before as well and seen a few seals.

Hopefully with the better camera I will be able to get that elusive great shot

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Coming back to North Uist

Seeing otters is very much luck of the draw. We've seen then on the beach just north of the causeway to Grimsay.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
440 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coming back to North Uist

"I have only ever seen an otter once and yes it was on the beach at Berneray."

Oh well... good advice then... even if it was useless! :) I'm playing a howler on here today!! Probably the best place to see them in Scotland - always a very good chance of spotting them there, but you probably know that. :) Benbecula's good for various raptors and watch out for puffins flying past - I got shots of some last year. As for eagles... well, I'm sure I don't need to say any more to you. :) I hope you get lucky!

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,291 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Coming back to North Uist

Good advice above. Can't help with up-to-date fuel prices, except to say that as a result of the government's special fuel duty 'derogation' for remote areas, they should now be 5p a litre less than they were!

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
1,884 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Coming back to North Uist

McTut said,

Oh well... good advice then... even if it was useless! :) I'm playing a howler on here today!! Probably the best place to see them in Scotland - always a very good chance of spotting them there, but you probably know that. :) Benbecula's good for various raptors and watch out for puffins flying past - I got shots of some last year. As for eagles... well, I'm sure I don't need to say any more to you. :) I hope you get lucky

Thanks for all advice it isreally appreciated. i think in trying to spot wildlife it is a combination of luck and patience

i saw the otter at the rocks as you come off the hill, at the strat of the beach.

I was sitting ther having some lunch resting behind a rock to get out of a cold wind. I could see the sea and i caught a glimpse of something in the water. As i sat and watched for about 20 minutes or so it was diving and surfacing obviously looking for fish. A real highlight of my trip

Reply to: Coming back to North Uist
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about North Uist