We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Laugavegur hike in June this year

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
139 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Laugavegur hike in June this year

Hi,

We are planning to do the Laugavegur hike this year, end of June. We want to start on June 24th/25th and take 4 days. We plan to camp along the way.

1. How are the snow conditions this year? I heard that huts and campsites open on 25th June, but can open early also.

2. We have no experience with river fords and honestly I am bit scared! What should we expect in terms of water levels at this time of year (of course rains will change that). We are otherwise quite experienced backpackers.

3. After doing this hike, will other volcano hikes add much value? We have flexibility to stay more days, trying to figure out if we need to.

thanks!

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,863 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Laugavegur hike in June this year

Conditions are "normal", nothing should change the plans of opening time of the huts and hike. There might be little snow in the highest altitudes the hike takes you.

Expect knee or thigh high rivers to wade, and being "wading shoes" since bottom is rocky.

Add the hike from Thorsmork to Skôgar, one day.

Norway
Level Contributor
2,076 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Laugavegur hike in June this year

Like Icelandicguide says, if you have extra days, add the Thorsmork to Skôgar hike to your plans (I assume you are starting from Landmannalaugar and ending in Thorsmork). Thorsmork is a very nice area, and there are plenty of day hikes there, so you could also stay for an extra day or two there.

I do not think the river fording is anything to be scared of. A bit of respect for it is healthy, but I assume you should be fine. Like Icelandicguide says, you probably should have some kind of shoes to use during crossing since it can be rocky and walking barefoot is probably not wise. And the water is often extremely cold, so it can be a bit unpleasant, but since it is only a short time, it is not a very big problem.

If you have hiking poles, this is often useful as support during crossing. If you are several people hiking together, you can also cross two and two so you support each other.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Laugavegur hike in June this year

Hiki01Glory where have you heard that the huts open 25th June? I actually though it is 15th?

Can anyone comment on that please?

Norway
Level Contributor
2,076 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Laugavegur hike in June this year

From the FI website:

"Due to its location in the southern highlands, Laugavegurinn is serviced only a few weeks a year. The huts usually open around June 25th and close in the beginning of September. Weather conditions and snow melt can change those dates. Due to security reasons and with regard to nature, hikers are highly requested not to walk the Laugavegurinn when the huts are closed. "

http://fi.is/en/hiking-trails/laugavegurinn/

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Laugavegur hike in June this year

Many thanks!!

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
139 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Laugavegur hike in June this year

Thanks for the replies. We are planning to start on 25th June then, just in time for huts to open, though we are going to camp anyway.

We are hoping to do Thorsmork to Skôgar, but might be too much snow at this time, especially if weather is not that great. But thanks for the tip about day hikes from Thorsmork.

7. Re: Laugavegur hike in June this year

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2015, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Landmannalaugar