We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

City Center of Excideuil

New York
4 posts
Save Topic
City Center of Excideuil

Hello. I am looking for a description of amenities available in the city center of Excideuil.

Most websites say they are plentiful but no real detail included. I will be staying just outside the town and wondering if there are bar's/restaurants, beauty salon's, cinema's, pharmacy, a local grocery store would even be helpful.

If anyone can help. Please be in touch.

Thanks so much! Cant wait for my visit!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,916 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: City Center of Excideuil

The website for the mairie says that Excideuil has a population of the village was 6000 in 1999.

There will be all of those things (I saw a schedule for a cinema on the website -- www.excideuil.fr) but it won't be a huge variety.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
49,486 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: City Center of Excideuil

That's odd, because all the other info sites I found for Excideuil suggest a population for the commune of around 1,300. Hardly a city.

The local website does have quite a bit of information

http://www.excideuil.fr

except that under 'commerces' there is nothing listed!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,916 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: City Center of Excideuil

I found a number of different figures on the web...so it's anybody's guess which one is correct -- and many towns have grown considerably since the last census...

The point was that it's a long way from being a city...but the agenda page lists a cinema, and most villages have at least one bar/restaurant, beauty salon, pharmacy, and superette/supermarket.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: City Center of Excideuil

A quick search for 24160 Excideuil turned up the following:

2 cafés, 2 restaurants, 7 coiffeurs, 2 instituts de beauté, 1 pharmacie, 1 alimentation générale, 1 patisserie, 2 boucheries, 2 boulangeries, 2 traiteurs, 1 fruits et légumes, 1 chaussures (détail), 4 vêtements femmes, and no cinema.

Some of these MAY Be close by and not actually in the village proper. I did not dig down to the address level. Seems like a pretty thriving burg to me...

http://pagesjaunes.fr/

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,916 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: City Center of Excideuil

It's also heavily inhabited by British retirees, and commonly referred to as the heart of Dordogneshire.

(that's an observation, folks, not an opinion.)

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: City Center of Excideuil

I wonder if that in any way accounts for what I thought was a rather surprising number of coiffeurs?

Payzac
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: City Center of Excideuil

We have a Chambres d'Hote near Excideuil and know the town quite well. There is not a cinema. Nearest cinemas are St Yrieix (20 min drive) or Perigueux, with a multi screen (30 mins drive) Excideuil is an atractive place with an old town part where there is a market on Thursday mornings.

Metro Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,737 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: City Center of Excideuil

The OP doesn't mention if he/she will have a car. Pretty much a MUST for any rural area in France. When I lived there I was offered a job near Bergerac and HAD to buy a car. Drove a lot of km daily too..

Excideuil is about 30 minutes east of Perigueux, a town that looks and feel big, even with around 30 000 only, lots of Beautiful wide avenues with grand 19th century buildings and an old town that is a fascinating maze of pedestrian streets and squares. It has every kind of shops, restaurants etc. one needs, even a Carrefour hypermarket in one suburb.

Excideuil is another of so many old interesting towns in the Perigord. Lots and lots to see in a relatively small area. For a tourist the hard part is deciding what NOT to see as a lifetime wouldn't be enough.

Metro Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,737 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: City Center of Excideuil

.. the whole of Aquitaine has lots of Brits! after all Aquitaine was legitimately part of the British crown for 300 years and the locals fought hard Not to become French...There is a monument, erected in the 1950s on the site of the last battle of the 100 years war, to the memory of Sir Talbot, head of the English and Gascon army, who died during the battle of Castillon.

Skirmishes with the Kings of France went on for many more centuries..

Many of the old families in the Bordeaux wine trade originally came from England, Scotland, Ireland... the Barton, Lawton and Johnston families, to name only 3, are very much part of the "aristocray of the cork", as they say in Bordeaux, and have been since the 18th century.

Part of their attraction, besides their encyclopedic knowledge of wine, is the names...who wouldn't want to deal with guys called Denis, Archibald and Ivanhoe, sons of Nathaniel, and the current crop of Johnston !

New York
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: City Center of Excideuil

Your post was the most helpful. Can you recommend a nice place for dinner or to meet for a pint. I am gathering two families just outside of Excideuil (at the Domaine Essendieras) from Ireland and the US. I want to supply as much information about the nearby town.

Do you know of a local grocery we could food shop at? Even recommend a beauty salon?

Any specifics are welcome this town is very hard to come by information.

Thank You.

Get answers to your questions about Excideuil
Recent Conversations