We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Learning to ski in Levi

Which Levi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
england
Level Contributor
82 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Learning to ski in Levi

I was wondering whether you are better to book a learn to ski package with inghams at about 215 pp or wait/ prebook in resort.

We're complete beginners and ideally want our kids aged 6 and 4 to learn too?

Any recommendations?

We're unsure whether to book as looks like daily lessons and obviously being Lapland there are lots of trips we would like to do, however even if just to try once we would like to try skiing.

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Learning to ski in Levi

We were in Yllas and think it was about 80 euro per person for a ski lesson there. You could also hire out skis for an hour for 27 euro which I did. Saying that a lesson would be the way to go rather than depending on other skiers trying to help you when you fall over!

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
3,859 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Learning to ski in Levi

You can check the local prices at levi.fi/en/pistes-and-tracks/downhill.html

Stokesley...
Level Contributor
71 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Learning to ski in Levi

We sadly booked in Levi and the beginners package cost more in Levi than booking through Ingham prior to Travel, if you can book it before you travel it will save you money. If we had booked with Inghams for a weeks ski we could have done it for just under £200 pre booking however when we got to Levi we decided we wanted to do the ski thing and booked the beginers and it cost us around £170 for 3 days skiing instead of £198 for a week. So in my honest opinion just having got back I wish we had bought it before we travelled - hey ho you learn by mistakes. Was also disappointed it was only 1 1/2 hours tution each day, but they expect you to go off on your own and practice what you learned after ski school. I did a beginers class in Bulgaria many years ago and it was 2 hours morning and 2 hours afternoon and that was what I was kinda expecting from Inghams, but not the case, should have read the small print. Up shot is though the instructors are brilliant we had Pais and he was great, the Kids land nursery slopes are good to get to grips and the falling over is easy. Have a great time :-)

Northampton
Level Contributor
533 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Learning to ski in Levi

Agree book it with Inghams great savings. Not only that your lessons are only one and half hous each day if I remember correctly giving plenty of time to do other things. See if you can get the morning lesson as this will free up the afternoon to do other trips, snowmobiling/Huskey etc, and then you can go back to do a bit more skiing at night.

Good thing with Levi is the length of time available to ski, split the day up with what you want to do. Using the bus to get to the South siode only takes minutes which is a good place to pratice what you have been taught. There is also a Restaurant there with log fire to get warm again but make sure you get the last bus.

You will pick up your skis at Zero Point right in front of the main Piste, yo can also store your skis there which saves lugging them around, but make sure you take your boots back to your room to dry overnight.

I'm missing this year at Levi bu wil be back hopefully next year for my sixth trip.

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
5,035 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Learning to ski in Levi

For 2 adults and 2 kids all beginners. I'd recommend a private tutor. So much more efficient. In 2 to 4 hours you'll be able to manage on our own.

Levi, Finland
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Learning to ski in Levi

it works out cheaper if you prebook the learn to ski package

east sussex
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Learning to ski in Levi

We did the 'learn to ski' with Inghams in Ruka in 2008 (2 adults and 2 children aged 5 and 8). Inghams arrange skiing and activities around each other so you do not miss out. The thing with the skiing I didn't like was having to be up and out on the slopes by 9.30am!! Difficult with two kids who were going to bed later and later as we were searching for the Northern Lights!! Since then we have been to Levi twice.We take ourselves off now as we know the basics and love it because time is our own!! Slope 8 is great for kids. We have booked to go again Feb 2014.!

Forres, Scotland
Level Contributor
462 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Learning to ski in Levi

Definitely do the learn to ski package for all of you but don't forget just to book the tuition for your youngest as under 6s get free equipment hire as long as they wear the free helmet.

Lessons for beginners are in the morning leaving your afternoons for excursions free. As classy lady says you will be up early for the lessons. One and a half hours as day is more than enough for your children as it is very cold. The instructors will look after your children very well- our daughter learnt to ski in Levi when she was 5 yrs old. By the time we met her at the end of her first lesson she was already skiing the little slope in Kids Land. They have no fear at that age! By the end of the week she skied with us right over to the South Slope going down some red runs! I warn you they will put you to shame!

I personally wouldn't do the one to one on your first ski hol as can work out very expensive plus you would still need to hire all your equipment and lift passes. You are better to build it up slowly over the 5 days plus having others in your ski group can be good fun. The kids will also like making new friends.

england
Level Contributor
82 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Learning to ski in Levi

We've opted for a DIY holiday and are going for the new year. Do we book a private tutor through the ski school or privately? Any info appreciated?

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
3,859 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Learning to ski in Levi

See here: levi.fi/en/pistes-and-tracks/ski-school.html . You can only book the instructors through the ski school.