We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Don't fancy my chances....

Hexham...
Level Contributor
14 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Don't fancy my chances....

In Levi next weekend, and am wondering what my chances are likely to be of being able to watch the 6 Nations rugby.....

Anybody got any idea?!....

Rovaniemi, Finland
Level Contributor
2,337 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Don't fancy my chances....

Last year TV5 Monde (a French channel) showed the 6 Nations and a little googleing suggests they do this year also. But can't guarantee. My French is limited to basic greetings and reading a menu.

TV5 Monde is available with Soner Cable TV which should be available also in Levi.

Finland
Level Contributor
894 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Don't fancy my chances....

The only thing there is on any of the available channels is a 45 minute summary and commentary (in French) http://telkku.com/program/show/20130210110388

TV5 Monde is quite common as it is FTA via satellite. I have it as well.

I hope this helps :/

The sports channels will have mostly winter sports...

Rovaniemi, Finland
Level Contributor
2,337 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Don't fancy my chances....

Just checked that 6 Nations is on BBC One? Then there should be a way to see the matches online... There are at least two different free-to-download players that run on PC, but I'm not totally comfortable mentoning them on this forum (even though we are talking about free channels).

And if you don't have your laptop, it wouldn't be much of a help (unless you find a really friendly bartender).

But let's just say that the other Player is for BBC and the other for HDTV.

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
3,870 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Don't fancy my chances....

You won't have much hope to see them on any publicly available channels as rugby is a real minor sport in Finland.

The only BBC channels that are available in Finland are those distributed by BBC Worldwide/BBC Nordic (BBC Entertainment, BBC Knowledge, BBC Lifestyle and BBC HD) which are pay channels here. BBC World News is available for free in some cable/terrestrial/satellite networks.

Edited: 04 February 2013, 14:18
UK
Level Contributor
12 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Don't fancy my chances....

I would bet that it will be on the screens at the pubs Oliver's Corner amd IHKU bar. Take plenty of money for drink though.

Isle of Wight
Level Contributor
134 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Don't fancy my chances....

We were wondering the same thing as we will be in Levi on the 23rd Feb. when it's the England - France game. Please let us know if you find a screen!!

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
3,870 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Don't fancy my chances....

Oliver's Corner has the following channels, none of which broadcasts rugby (in Finland):

C more / C more sport

URHO TV / URHO tv Total

MTV3 MAX

VIASAT SPORT

EUROSPORT 1-2

It's rather difficult to have something on screen when there's no channel that would broadcast it at all.

Rovaniemi, Finland
Level Contributor
2,337 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Don't fancy my chances....

Yep, and the same weekend there's also European Tour in ice hockey, world champs in both biathlon and alpine skiign, ski jumping in Willingen... Good luck having rugby on screen if Finns are playing Czechs or Swedes... :)

Best bet would be to find a live stream online.

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
5,135 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Don't fancy my chances....

I'd take a PC and stream the broadcast over the internet. A Finnish pub having rugby on screen if there's ice hockey or skiing at the same time is as likely going to happen as the hell freezes over.

10. Re: Don't fancy my chances....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 February 2014, 06:19