We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas tree

Which Levi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wolverhampton
Level Contributor
278 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas tree

Hi we are staying in the levi cabins. I wonder if anyone knows where I can buy a real Christmas tree and how much they are approx.

we are going with Thinsons and meant to be cutting one down with a lumberjack but guessing they may not let us take it with us?

I am also unsure if we are actually going to get all the activities Thomson brochure suggests we will do as we are there over Xmas

Thanks in advance

Arsy, France
Level Contributor
3,292 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas tree

I think the tourist board will be able to help you, also, if you search back I know that shell got a tree sorted but it was expensive

the fins dont have their trees inside (from what I could see) - when we went at christmas we took fairy lights (remember the travel plug) and wrapped it around the fireplace - looked fab

Rovaniemi, Finland
Level Contributor
2,303 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas tree

Finns do keep christmas trees inside... :) But many put one outside the house also.

Closer to Christmas trees are sold outside every bigger market and parking lots. I don't know about Levi but at least in Kittilä you should find one pretty easily. Prices less than 50 euros.

But if you are going Christmas tree cutting I would be surprised if they don't let you have the tree. It would make no sense to just cut the tree and leave it there.

Edited: 01 December 2013, 20:52
Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
3,869 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas tree

If I remember right some years back the tree cost some 90€ including the rent for the stand. You can't do much with a tree without a stand for it :) . The price excluded decorations.

Rovaniemi, Finland
Level Contributor
2,303 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas tree

You are kidding - 90 euros and the stand was for rent? Now I'm starting to understand why tourists think Lapland is extraordinarily expensive. I think there should be some legal limit how much you are allowed to rip people off...

OK, there are some costs involved if they also take those trees out for recycling, but still. Often communes offer this recycling for free. "Street price" for a small tree around 20-30 euros, for a little bigger and thicker tree around 40 euros. Tree stand 20 euros.

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,869 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas tree

Well, here in Oulu a locally farmed Christmas tree can easily cost 60-70€ and above. I don't mean those slim and sparse Danish trees Bauhaus and the likes sell, but a proper "Disney style" Christmas tree ;) .

Edited: 02 December 2013, 21:48
Rovaniemi, Finland
Level Contributor
2,303 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas tree

Just checked some prices to see if I remembered wrong and no... From Tori.fi found several local tree growers with prices starting from 20 euros (self picked). A permit from Metsähallitus to cut a tree from the state forest 5 euros.

One online shop in Helsinki offers Finnish grown trees prices starting from 60 euros. But that is home delivered...

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,869 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas tree

Sure, the naturally grown traditional spruces cost about that much here, too, but the thick, dense and perfect cone shaped "Donald Duck" Christmas trees cost much more. Have you visited a Christmas tree farm? They require a lot of attention from the people growing the trees (and in these latitudes it takes very long, even 10 - 20 years to grow them). Not an easy "side job" for anyone... ;)

Rovaniemi, Finland
Level Contributor
2,303 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Christmas tree

Of course the price depends on the height and thickness but still. A good looking, a bit over 2 meters tall farmed tree from a market around 40 euros, 50 euros would be really expensive, selfed picked much less.If your hall has room for a 2.5 - 3 meters tall prices also go up.

sik
Bristol
Level Contributor
301 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Christmas tree

We are going over Christmas as well and I have been pondering the idea of buying as tree. How did you arrange the lumberjack?

Wolverhampton
Level Contributor
278 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Christmas tree

Thomsons alledge that it is part of our holiday package. As we are going over christmas I have a feeling we won't get to do all they say we will even though I've double checked with them.