We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it too cold for a 2 year old and can they try skiing?

Liverpool
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Is it too cold for a 2 year old and can they try skiing?

We're thinking of booking a week to Finland, probably Levi in February, but wondering if it's going to be too cold for my daughter who has just turned 2. I have no problems bundling her up but is it likely to be too cold for her to really have fun?

Kids land looks great.

Can you get children as young as 2 skiing rather than just sledding there? I know some other places in Europe do but references to helmets etc seem to be for 3 or 4 year olds.

Mentioned in this post
Finland
Finland
Europe
Rovaniemi, Finland
Level Contributor
2,801 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it too cold for a 2 year old and can they try skiing?

A 2 year old will be fine - better than adults. Even if it's really cold, there is no reason not to go out and play. You just come back inside a bit sooner. Properly clothed cold doesn't do you any harm.

One article, that circulated also Finnish newspapers:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21537988

Downhill skiing could be tricky with such a young age, it takes a bit of body coordination, but safely between yor parents legs you could try for sure. Cross country skis you can put on as soon as they can walk. Just find a flat spot with good trails to keep the skis straight.

This video is in Finnish, but you get the idea:

elixir.tv/2013/…

The older gentleman on the video is Reijo Jylhä. A former head coach of Finnish national ski team. And the younger gentleman is Topi, 3 years old, first time on skis.

And this is how you wrap your kids:

elixir.tv/2013/…

Moraira, Spain
Level Contributor
699 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it too cold for a 2 year old and can they try skiing?

Took our granddaughter last year age 21 months. Wrapped her up and she loved it, kidsland was great fun and pulled her everywhere on a sledge!

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it too cold for a 2 year old and can they try skiing?

I have read that the Finns put babies outside in there prams to sleep in sub zero temps.

Sounds bizarre but is totally normal practice for them.

Wrapped up properly your little one will be just fine and although she won't remember, she will have a lovely experience at the time and enjoy everything there is to see.

Plus you will probably end up going back as one visit is never enough and as she gets older she will remember.

:-)

Stranraer, United...
Level Contributor
235 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it too cold for a 2 year old and can they try skiing?

She'l lbe fine-just make sure she has lots of layers on.

Not sure about ski-ing. I know in Saariselka children have to be 5 for ski-ing lessons. May be something to do with co-ordination and following instructions though. My 4 year old loved being dragged alo ng on a sledge :)

Mentioned in this post
Saariselka
Saariselka
Lapland, Finland
Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it too cold for a 2 year old and can they try skiing?

Following on from Anne (as I agree again lol) the minimum age is 5 for skiing. (5 in the resort I go to)

But I do believe it's a general age restriction in all resort.

But they do look so cute on skis, could watch the little ones all day.

Rovaniemi, Finland
Level Contributor
2,801 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it too cold for a 2 year old and can they try skiing?

For downhill it's still tobogganing for a year or two, but besides of xc, skating you could also try with skates like these - double bladed skates. http://www.skatepro.fi/233-9087.htm

Maybe if you were a year or two older, when your ankles are stronger, you could already try proper single bladed skates, but those are good for a 2-3 years old. But same as with cross country skis, it's not skating yet but happily gliding with your mom or dad giving you support.

Levi Kids Land has ski schools for ages 4 and up.

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
5,958 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it too cold for a 2 year old and can they try skiing?

There may be an age limit for the ski school, but there's no limit for the slopes. I know several persons who have started downhill skiing at the ages of 2,5 to 3 years. For kids downhill skiing is really easy and most seem to get the idea quickly. Proper cross country skiing is much more difficult, not to mention skating.

Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it too cold for a 2 year old and can they try skiing?

Hi everyone, we've promised our boys that we'll go to lapland in December 2015 to see the real Santa Claus. Can anyone tell me if there's an option to ski or would it be too cold? Boys aged 9, 8, 6 & 4.

Any other recommendations gratefully received. Travelling from Ireland.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it too cold for a 2 year old and can they try skiing?

Hi, yes you can book via travel agent/company or book when you arrive which the latter is usually cheaper as they do discounts fo families.

Not usually too cold to ski, although I believe many resorts stop skiing at -30 for safety reasons!

It's also cheaper to book trips and visits to santa in resort with whatever company you choose trips with rather than an all-in-one holiday which can run into the thousands!

10. Re: Is it too cold for a 2 year old and can they try skiing?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 December 2015, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Levi