We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitoes

Ossett, United...
Level Contributor
332 posts
12 reviews
Mosquitoes

We're travelling at the beginning of May (Foresta)...what can we expect regarding the little blighters?

Do we need to bring plug-in mozzie machines for the room & spray for arms/legs in the evening?

3 replies to this topic
Yorkshire, England
Level Contributor
1,422 posts
76 reviews
1. Re: Mosquitoes

Mosquitos like May :-) They need warmth and fresh water to breed and so are most prevalent early and late season, e.g. when there are puddles from an occasional shower or a non-dry river. The hotels usually regularly spray to keep their number to a minimum inside but you should probably take things to cover up if going out in the evenings or early mornings - like vampires, mosquitos avoid direct sunshine.

DEET-based repellants are the only ones proved to be effective but DEET has a nasty habit of eating through unexpected materials like those found in some jewellery, watches and some synthetic textiles.

Rather than a plug-in device which only works if you keep your balcony door closed, I find a small fly-killer aerosol can be a reassuring and more targeted killer if you happen to see or hear one in your room during mosquito times of the year.

Tim.

Edited: 18 January 2018, 14:09
Ossett, United...
Level Contributor
332 posts
12 reviews
2. Re: Mosquitoes

Cheers Tim...looks like I need to investigate some DEET free repellant as well as some traditional DEET stuff (if I buy too much it'll come in handy for later in the year as we're going to Mexico and I know that we'll defo need it for then!)

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
74 reviews
3. Re: Mosquitoes

Jumping in here - I was in Mexico in November and took Avon skin so soft to slap on. It worked a treat as I was the only person unbitten. It’s a must have for me!

Reply to: Mosquitoes
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted