We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 night house boat trip

Bengaluru, India
2 posts
Save Topic
2 night house boat trip

Hi

i am planning a 2 night house boat trip and one day sight seeing in Kerala.

Please suggest me the places where i can good house boats and how to book the same?

I am planning to go there between 18th Aug to 23rd Aug time frame.

I would like the best possible house boats which are value for money as well as offer good service. There seems to be so many companies online its really difficult to choose one. So please help me with the same.

Also please tell me the best possible route for the houseboat so that i can plan accordingly for the 2 night trip. The route should offer the best scenery and lots of places to see and avoid sticking to the same place.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Level Contributor
334 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 night house boat trip

Hi,

My Suggestion is take Houseboat cruise through alleppey to alleppey round Trip.

See the 2 night Houseboat itinerary through alleppey backwaters ....

Houseboat starts at alleppey , cruise through starting point, See the some backwater resort , boat building yard continous through SNDP Thode ( see the boat side paddy fields , house , temple, watermills ) reach Kuppapuram , see the kuppapram school in the right side. Cruise through kuppuram village , reach vembandu lake take deviation to kuttithode , ( left side of the kuttithode you can see feilds watered , right side a village. Then reach a kuttithode vattakayal then contious through vennattukadu vattakayal. Lunch break there.

Cruise through Neddumuddy then reach chennamkary Night stay

After breakfast houseboat cruise champakulam , champakulam church snake boat, handicraft making , karumadi thode, Mancompu over night stay kainkary

Morning starts cruise through kainkary village , cross muttel bridge cruise through muttel thode, reaches island place vattakal, pallathruthi thode, reaches chungam kayal, vilakumaram thode, Nehru trophy venue .

Enjoy the beauty for alleppey backwaters.

You can find best houseboat operator if you spent little time in TripAdvisor page of alleppey .

Thanks ,

Binu Joseph, Kerala Canoe Tourism , Alappuzha

Bengaluru, India
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 night house boat trip

Thanka a lot Binu..

Now i am confused a little. Quite a few ppl feel that the large boats cant take us through the small canals and its better we take a small shikhara to explre more. In such a case which is better?? 2 day house boat or one day house boat and one day exploring the backwaters on shikara?

Many felt that house boats are not that exiting when it comes to explore the backwaters.

Bengaluru, India
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 night house boat trip

I would suggest to take one day house boat from Alleppey to kumarakom and the enjoy one day on a lake front resort and one day on beach front resort if you are travelling as a couple. One day house boat and half day on small boat which you can row either shikara or open boat will be a good idea.

Have a quick comparison below

House Boat - Can stay and no issue of rain, sunny days, rest rooms, bed room deck but unable to move into the small and inner canals

Shikara/small open boats - Feels a little dangerous (if you dont know swimming), rain and sun issues and little risky for travelling in the middle of lake if you dont know swimming. But can take into the small and inner canal s

Feel free to get in touch if you need to know more

Manu Travel Consultant ResortRoute.com

Level Contributor
334 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 night house boat trip

Hi,

If you want see the real backwaters beauty take Shikara Boat. Yo can go in very narrow area of the alleppey backwaters and good local villager restaurant run by local people you get typical Kerala dishes there.

Same time houseboat experience also a different . But you can't see much more in houseboat .

I don't think so shikkara cruise are dangerous and swimming experience is necessary to do such a trip . Only thing is you have to control your movements in the boat while cruising .

See the 5 hour itinerary

Cruise through punnamada Kayal see the Nehru Trophy Boat Race starting point. See the alleppey lake side resorts, Small houseboat moving canal See local villages , paddy fields, Temples .Cruise continues through kuppapuam (both side you can see paddy field, villages, Bridges, Temple) then enter big lake straight you can see kuppapuram school. Cross that lake & canoe stop sip tender coconut (if you need tender then only canoe stop)

Cruise continuous then you can see bridge and a narrow canal. The narrow canal named panakal thode in Malayalam. It is small canaling both side you can see local village life of alleppey backwaters.

Canoe stop at a Toddy shop, visit Toddy Shop take Toddy (if you need they will give Kappa & Fish Curry (Kappa means Tapioca) then cruise continues then enter a big lake see a race mill, Temple , Toddy shop.

Cross the lake then enter longest very narrow canal in the backwater. No other operator take canoe to that area because it hard to go there, fuel consumption & experienced driver can go to this canal. This canal named umbikaran thode (Thode means smallest canal) Here we are giving exact images & video we traveled through that area because we can’t describe the beauty of this canal. On the cruising this canal you touch village in your hand.

Both side we can see the paddy fields, famers are working on the field, local villages, and rural village life of alleppey backwaters. Here we are giving an opportunity to work with local villagers in paddy fields and also visit the water machine to see how water machine pump the water into paddy fields.

Cruise continues through narrow canal, sees the local village school then enters back side chavara church. Walk to village & enter the church. Cruise continues through big lake named vattakayal see islands & local village.

Enter narrow canal this canal is part of kainakary village see church, paddy fields villagers are working there, Kainakary hospital reaches kainkary village. It is big lake. Cross the lake see the narrow canal named muttel thode, both side we can see paddy field, fisher man, and villager. Again reaches a big lake (pallathuruthi – Alleppey backwater way) on the way see villages, toddy shop, other shops, houseboat passing , waiting shades & one police station .

If you need any snacks, tea, lunch here is one restaurant.Cruise continues towards alleppey town. Cross the big lake reaches villakumaram thode. Cruise through finishing point, see Nehru Trophy Pavilion, houseboat are parked, Nehru Trophy boat race venue, boat house building yards & island in the backwater area. Reaches starting place. Go back with everlasting memories of the Kerala canoe tour.

tripadvisor.in/ShowTopic-g608471-i12586-k467…

tripadvisor.in/…36329177

Thanks,

Binu Joseph , Kerala Canoe Tourism , Alappuzha

5. Re: 2 night house boat trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2012, 00:41
6. Re: 2 night house boat trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 09:16