We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ferry from Tsawwassen

Which Tsawwassen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Astoria, Oregon
Level Contributor
47 posts
212 reviews
Save Topic
ferry from Tsawwassen

we are planning to take the ferry from Tsawwassen to Victoria, and return the same way. Is it necessary to make a reservation this time of year ? ( leaving Feb. 19, returning Feb. 22)

7 replies to this topic
Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ferry from Tsawwassen

The route is Tsawwassen to Swartz Bay, and Swartz Bay is about 45 minutes outside of Victoria. At the time you're going it's probably not necessary to reserve a spot for a car on the ferry, but it wouldn't hurt to do so.

https://www.bcferries.com/bcftravelcentre

Friday late afternoon and Sunday evenings are usually the busiest. But walk-on passengers don't ever have to reserve, as far as I know.

There's a pretty comfortable bus that goes from Vancouver to Victoria: http://www.pacificcoach.com/

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
11,689 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ferry from Tsawwassen

Not really.... depends on the time of day too...just plan on being there 45 minutes ahead of your departure.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24,175 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ferry from Tsawwassen

Highly unlikely. Friday evenings and Sunday evenings or Monday mornings can get busy, but if you are at the terminal an hour prior to sailing, you'll be fine. Worst case scenario is you end up arriving a bit too late and you have to wait for the next ferry. Even with a reservation, you still have to show up at least 30 minutes ahead of time.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,155 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ferry from Tsawwassen

February 19th is a Tuesday; February 22nd is a Friday. Neither date is part of a long weekend. The only delay might come on the Friday, if, as mentioned above, you are travelling in the evening.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,773 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ferry from Tsawwassen

The ferries run every two hours on the odd hour at that time of year. I wouldn't make a reservation but I would get to the terminal a good hour in advance to get a spot in line. In two hours the ferry can build up a line up of vehicles, but these days ferry business is down in general.

Astoria, Oregon
Level Contributor
47 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ferry from Tsawwassen

thanks to all. It was very helpful. I am starting to like this forum more and more. Its a great way to hear from people who travel more than we do and they all give good advice.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,143 posts
392 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ferry from Tsawwassen

Short answer, no.

Reply to: ferry from Tsawwassen
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tsawwassen