We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sami in May time

Wiltshire
Level Contributor
76 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Sami in May time

I wonder if Sami experts could help me out on a few queries please. We have booked the Pericles with friends in May but I do not want to hire a car for the week. Our friends do not want to tour round much but would like a couple of days seeing a few sights either by taxi or bus.

How expensive are the taxis currently - and can we get 4 of us in one ? Which is the best cost effective way to take a tour or trip around the island ? Can you book a tour bus in Sami - rather than through a tour operator ?

Over a couple of days - which places would you recommend for sightseeing ?

I understand that the caves are quite close to Sami - we like walking - are they close enough to trek to ?

Thanks for your thoughts and kindness on these matters.

Edited: 15 April 2012, 15:48
Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sami in May time

Good afternoon fellow Moonraker

Taxis are expensive now in Greece as fuel has risen so steeply in price. Unleaded is currently €1,90 a litre so cab fares have risen accordingly. Taxis will take four adults so no issue there. Buses on the island are pretty scarce and there's not much scope to use them using Sami as your base. There is a Sami-Agia Efimia-Fiskardo service, 2 buses per day in each direction, plus a Sami - Argostoli service, 3 or 4 each way per day. There will most definitely be tours available in Sami, and these should cover most of the island's main sights and towns.

If you and your pals only want to get out and about on a couple of days, then a car is the best bet. A car with enough room for four adults will cost about €30 per day and given that most of the island's sights are in the south, you won't need to do too much driving to see them.

There's the cross island road linking Sami to Argostoli - using that road gives you easy access to Melissani lake, the Monastery of Agios Gerasimos, the Robola winery ( next to the monastery) and the old castle of Agios Giorgios. Drogerati caves are just up the road from Sami at Karavomilos, about 3 kms from the centre of Sami, so walkable, but not on a hot day.

Other great sights include Assos, Myrtos beach, Antisamos beach ( just around the headland from Sami) and the sights in Argostoli itself. Fiskardo in the far north is well worth a call, as it's the only spot on the island that was spared during the 1953 quake, hence it has the oldest buildings on Kefalonia.

Edited: 15 April 2012, 16:21
Wiltshire
Level Contributor
76 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sami in May time

Thank you again. What is the situation regards Mosquitos in May time ? I have purchased repellent etc.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sami in May time

Hi again

Sorry, it's Melissani lake that is just up the road from Sami at Karavomilos, Drogerati caves are a bit further along the cross island road towards Argostoli.

Mosquitoes are usually a pest on very warm, humid evenings so I can't see them being too much of an issue in May. But if you have spray, I'd have a few squirts anyway just to be safe.

Wiltshire
Level Contributor
76 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sami in May time

Just to say we thoroughly enjoyed our holiday in Sami. Great people and a great place to have a holiday. We thought the Pericles hotel was good value and in a wonderful location with fabulous views. No sign of biting insects during the trip in late May.

Special mention to Nina at the Pericles reception desk and Effie and her family at the superb The Mermaid taverna in Sami. The Mermaid produce some excellent fresh food - brilliant deserts such as baklava and mimigato. First class service and warm welcome. We also enjoyed a mixed grill at Adonis as well. Special mentions to The Dolphin and Faros.

We preferred Sami to Fiscardo to be honest. The views in the Sami area were outstanding. Fiscardo is a sort of greek St Ives - but we thought it somewhat upmarket - but overrated.

Thanks to everyone here for their kind advice. Please be assured that Sami and Kefalonia provided us with a first class, relaxing and trouble free holiday.

First time in Greece and Sami - and we shall return !

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sami in May time

Thanks for coming back to the forum to tell us how you enjoyed the trip.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sami in May time

We stayed in Skala last month and had a hire car.The poor weather on some days encouraged us to do a bit of driving around the South of the island exploring and we had a day in Sami.I loved it.It reminded me a bit of Puerto Pollensa in Majorca in that is is not totally dedicated to tourism and has many local people going about their daily business.The integration with the tourists is easy going.If I return to Cephalonia I am more likely to base in Sami than Skala.Trouble is there does not appear to be a wide choice of accommodation in the 4* category.

Food and drink prices there were lower than in Skala although that wasn't important.We had a splendid lunch at a restaurant on the quay (we were attracted to one that had a few tables occupied-others were devoid of customers) and had a lovely bottle of local rose wine for 8 euros.

Wiltshire
Level Contributor
76 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sami in May time

Strange you mention Majorca as we are fond of Soller and Port Soller although these are more touristy than Sami. I totally agree regards Sami not being aimed entirely on tourism - it certainly worked for us and we would rate it higher than Fiscardo on 'returnability' ! In terms of views, food and service Sami hit the right note. The locals are brilliant as well.

Hotels ? the other Thomas Cook hotels looked pretty good to us and seemed higher end than Pericles from the outside. No real complaints about the Pericles though which is a a value option.

8. Re: Sami in May time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2013, 10:17
Get answers to your questions about Sami
Recent Conversations