We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we change sterling to euro before we come?

North Wales
Level Contributor
45 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Should we change sterling to euro before we come?

We are flying out to Sami on the 19th June and were wondering whether we should change all our money before we come or would we get a better rate once we are in Sami?

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should we change sterling to euro before we come?

I have just (yesterday) returned from Cephalonia.Stayed in Skala had a day (and a nice harbourside lunch) in Sami which impressed me and I may return for a holiday.I would take euros in cash.It's not about the rate of exchange it's about continuous availability via ATMs.

London, England...
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Should we change sterling to euro before we come?

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I'm off to Skala a week today.

When you mention availability via ATMs, do you mean that there aren't any or that sometimes they don't have money in them?

North Wales
Level Contributor
45 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should we change sterling to euro before we come?

Thank you for replying. Yes we were wondering also about the availability of money at the ATM's. We stayed in Sami about seven years ago so we are looking forward to returning but with the crisis in Greece it's a bit worrying not knowing what to expect.

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
513 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should we change sterling to euro before we come?

We are also going on the 19th June and will take all our spends in Euros. Will probably buy them on line from Travelex for delivery to us at home.

If you take Euros with you, you wont be worried about having to find an ATM. As many others have suggested, it would be worth renting or using a room safe and only taking a smallish amount of money out with you.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,039 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should we change sterling to euro before we come?

I base myself on ATMs whenever I am travelling and have never had any problem in Greece (and many recent posts show that you should still not worry). ATMs are found almost anywhere.

Staffordshire
Level Contributor
310 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should we change sterling to euro before we come?

Hi Ross H.

There are two ATM's in Skala. We took our Euro's with us with some Sterling to change if neccessary.The exchange rate was 1.22 last week.

Enjoy Skala i hope the weather improves for you.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should we change sterling to euro before we come?

There are now at least 4 ATMs (that I saw) in Skala.Post #5 above is fair enough but based on historical travels.Times are different now in Greece (and Spain) and for the foreseeable future.I took all my euro spends in cash and used the hotel roomsafe.As it turned out I could have used my debit card but if I was returning this summer I would again take the no-cost precaution of taking my euros in cash just in case there is any interruption in the continued availability of cash via ATMs.

This is not scare-mongering just re-assuring.But it's a personal choice and if readers are scornful of my choice it won't worry me.

Hull
Level Contributor
773 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should we change sterling to euro before we come?

I'm just back from Sami/ A. Efimia and I was surprised to find the only bank has closed. Appears it did so overnight without warning so no-one could draw out their savings. Nearest is now Argostoli (50km).

There are 2 ATMs there and I used both and changed Sterling at the jewellers on the harbourfront.

If you check my other replies on Euro/currency issues, you'll see references to very current events which IMO make taking a lot of Euros in cash unwise. I'd say you need the Fairfx Anywhere card which is pre-loaded with Sterling and the conversion is done at POS/ATM at market not tourist rates. Also take Sterling cash which you will be able to change for whatever currency applies when you are there- again, see my other replies for the arguments.

There's plenty of time to decide before you go- by which time the situation may be clearer, albeit very difficult.

Edited: 31 May 2012, 15:22
Dartmouth, United...
Level Contributor
626 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Should we change sterling to euro before we come?

Santa Fe, have been watching your postings with much interest. My son and his girlfriend are heading to Crete on 19 June, which will be their first holiday abroad together.

I note your recommendations re a Fairfax card anywhere card and also note that whilst you were out there one bank had already closed. If there are no banks open, will my son still be able to get access to the cash loaded on the card?

Taunton, United...
Level Contributor
1,888 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Should we change sterling to euro before we come?

What currency do you advise eurozone countries (Germany,France, Ireland etcetc) tourists to take with them to Greece? Or does this advice just apply to UK tourists!!

TA is open to all tourist not just UK

Edited: 02 June 2012, 07:47
Get answers to your questions about Sami
Recent Conversations