We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dimitris Studios Karavomylos

2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Dimitris Studios Karavomylos

We've just booked a last minute holiday to Dimitris Studios in the village of Karavomylos near Sami. However in our rush to book something we couldn't find any reviews about it.

Does anyone know anything about it and if there's a pool nearby that we could use?

Any information about the hotel or surrounding area would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,510 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dimitris Studios Karavomylos

Hi Hannah and welcome,

I cannot help about the studios but looking on Google Earth it is on the (fairly quiet) main road and only a 100 metres from the small pebbly beach.

Karavomilos is a village with a few shops, including a nice bakers, a couple of tavernas and some hotels. The Ionian Emerald has a great pool and apparently if you buy drinks and snacks you can use it.

If you walk on the roads to Sami you could be looking at a 30-45 min walk. However if you walk along the beach it is only about 15-20 mins and part way along is Melissani Beach - nothing to do with the caves and not even near them, but it has a good café/bar/taverna and a pool.

Sami itself is a working town as well as a resort and there are all the shops you could wish for including a butchers with a (sort of) realistic model of a butcher standing outside!

You are only a taxi ride away from the famous Antisamos beach.

You are only a fairly short walk to the famous Melissani Caves

If transfers are not included you are looking at a taxi fare of about 55€ so it may well be worth your while booking a car to collect from, and return to, the airport. See this link.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g189457-i1615-k7…

Buses are almost non existent!

Have a great time

Bob

2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dimitris Studios Karavomylos

Thanks for your advice travel Bob. Do you know if you can get a boat to the main land from anywhere in Kefalonia or is it too far?

Thanks again

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,510 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dimitris Studios Karavomylos

Hi Hannah,

Yes you can, one local coach company used to run coach tours to Olympia but people complained that the journey was so long, and the time at Olympia so short it was not worth the hassle.

If you are relying on car hire then, as far as I know, most companies will not permit travel to the mainland.

If you ask first you can generally take a hire car to Ithaca and there is a ferry from Sami. It does however drop you in the middle of nowhere so going without a car is not really an option.

Bob

Uxbridge, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Dimitris Studios Karavomylos

I have just booked this for next summer someone told me you can get the Lat/ long to put in a TomTom where can I find this ?

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,510 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dimitris Studios Karavomylos

Hi Gerry,

Somehow on google earth. However I am a bit of a technophobe and so do not know how to do it!

Karavomilos is not very big and so you should have no trouble finding the studios. If you want a turn by turn route from airport to Karavimilos just give me a shout!

Bob

Uxbridge, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Dimitris Studios Karavomylos

Hi Bob what a star you are !

a turn by turn route from airport would be an absolute life saver ( and you would make an old man happy lol ) I just spent my first ever week in Kefalonia at Astra village close to the airport loved but got hopelessly lost a couple of times going to take my tomtom next time oh yes rain made interesting driving to say the least driving in 20" of water !!

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,510 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dimitris Studios Karavomylos

Route from Airport to Karavomilos:-

Follow the road uphill out of the airport (past the petrol station if you need it). Turn left at the T junction towards Lassi and Argostoli. Follow this road past the White Rocks Hotel and through Lassi. At the end of this resort the road curves gently uphill. At the crest of the hill there are two right turns. The first is very sharp; the second, which you need, is a newish road in front of the Avin petrol station. Follow this road for just under 1.5km to a T junction where you turn left and follow the road to the end where there is a triangular patch of grass. Fork right here and turn on to the main road. After about 1km there is a roundabout where you turn left (of course you go right around the roundabout! To the second exit). This road goes round the lagoon and after a couple of Km you come to a set of traffic lights. This junction is like a letter "K". You are approaching up the vertical leg of the K. You want to make a really sharp right turn along the sloping leg of the K. Make sure you are in first gear because, as well as being a sharp turn it is also up a steep hill. Follow this road over the mountain all the way almost to Sami. Be careful not to fork right to Mount Ainos!. As you approach Sami you will pass a Medical Centre on your right. Very soon after this is a left turn signposted Aghia Efimia. The sign is difficult to see as locals stick signs to hotels, tavernas etc. on the same posts. Take this turn and after about 1.5Km you will be in Karavomilos.

Have a great holiday.

Bob

Uxbridge, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Dimitris Studios Karavomylos

Bob your a star , I cant thank you enough thats so helpful god bless ya matey

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,510 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dimitris Studios Karavomylos

It's no problem!

Uxbridge, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Dimitris Studios Karavomylos

Hi Bob can you tell me if I can use a metal detector on the Island ? I lost my ring on the beach last September and I have a small compact metal detector I can pack if its not illegal there ?

Get answers to your questions about Sami
Recent Conversations