We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

supermarkets

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,199 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
supermarkets

can anyone tell me if there are any supermarkets in Koutouloufari for self catering needs..or how far to the best ones is it and the best way of getting there to stock up.

Cheers

Jay

Yorkshire Dales
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: supermarkets

Hi. The last time I was there ( and it was a while ago) you needed to go down the hill to the main strip to get major supplies.

Unless things have changed, water and a few things could be got nearer but you needed to go further afield to get better supplies.

There was lots of good supermarkets down on the bottom road.

It was a bit of a trek and I suggest that if it the same now, walk down the hill. get your stuff and then get a taxi back rather than struggle up the hill.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: supermarkets

Hi there

Yes, there are the usual little shops in Koutouloufari and the neighbouring villages but Hersonissos gives you a much bigger choice, including a LIDLs which is partway up the hill out of Hersonissos, on the right as you head west, take the right fork at the traffic lights

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,199 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: supermarkets

Thanks GB, whats the best way to get to Lidls from Koutoulfari? can you walk, or is it a bus ride or is it best by taxi?

By the way there seems to be something different about you nowadays..can't put my finger on it..is it the hair..Lol

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: supermarkets

LOL Jay, just fancied a change that's all, and thought I'd post a new avatar of the missus....:0) Someone to whom I'd replied to on the forums a few days ago actually apologised for "assuming that I was a bloke"....:0)

You could walk to Lidls but it'd be a struggle going back up the hill with all the shopping. So, you could take a taxi, or walk there and taxi back, which is the best option if you enjoy a good stroll.

LIDLs is visible from the main road that climbs out of Hersonissos towards Iraklion, it's on the right by the traffic lights.

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,199 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: supermarkets

thanks GB thats great mate, not totally sure if it will be Koutouloufari next year, but its one of the options I'm looking at, cheap flights from London so double up with a visit to the family maybe andI like the quieter picturesque places and it seems to fit the bill, I loved Pefkos..how do they compare?

Edited: 07 November 2011, 08:04
Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: supermarkets

Jay, to be honest, there's no comparison really. Pefkos, as you know, is a pretty much purpose-built resort with all the trappings to suit a mainly Brit tour scene. Koutouloufari is inland ( obviously) and although there are apartments there, it still has a very pleasant Greek atmosphere and feel to it and is of course a traditional village, albeit it has shops, bars and restaurants.

The road through the village also joins up with the neighbouring villages of Piskopiano and Old Hersonissos, all three are very pleasant in my opinion and are sufficiently distant from the bustle of Hersonissos.

Essex
Level Contributor
509 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: supermarkets

I have an interest in this question too. I will be staying at the Sunrise apartments in Koutoulofari for 3 weeks next July. I heard that there is a small supermarket near these apartments. I expect to eat out most evenings but really tend to survive on simple salads during the day. Will I be able to get salad ingredients without having to go outside the village? The usual salad veg plus some cold meats, cheeses etc is waht I would normally buy.

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,963 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: supermarkets

Buzziewine

The small supermarket across from the Sunrise, as far as I remember, wont have the foods you want - they do however have small bakery next door for fresh breads /cakes etc. If you want salads, meats, chesses, you will need to go to the larger supermarket at the bottom of the hill.

Turn right out of the sunrise and follow the road to the Adonis apartments,. Turn left and follow the road down to the supermarket (turning to the right at the bottom of hill). The hill is a little steep on the way back (but not the worst in the area) so leave the heavier items like water, wines etc to the supermarkets in Koutoulafari itself. The supermarket at the bottom of the hill also does excellent freshly squeezed orange juice in litre bottles (squeezed on the premises)

Essex
Level Contributor
509 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: supermarkets

What a shame I was hoping I could get those things a bit nearer as I know it's a task in the heat of July. Is there no fresh produce sold in Koutoulafari then?

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,963 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: supermarkets

There is another supermarket in the middle of Koutoulafari village itself (just pas the esperos taverna on the left hand side) that does a small amount of vegtables, but the supermarlet at the bottom of the hill has the best selection. It also have a deli for even more options.