We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kanha Tiger Reserve vs Bandhavgarh Tiger Reserve

Glendale, CA
Level Contributor
72 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Kanha Tiger Reserve vs Bandhavgarh Tiger Reserve

I will be in India during the middle of October. I would like to visit a tiger reserve, but I'm having difficulty choosing which one. We only have four days to visit, so I don't want to go to two because of the time to travel in between. Which tiger reserve is most likely to see tigers, Kanha or Bandhavgarh? I know there is no guarantee when it comes to nature, but sometimes there is a higher probability.

Thanks!

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
201 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Kanha Tiger Reserve vs Bandhavgarh Tiger Reserve

Bandhvgarh Tiger Reserve is recommonded, chances are good to see Tiger.

Dawanti

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata (Calcutta), Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
35,854 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kanha Tiger Reserve vs Bandhavgarh Tiger Reserve

Bandhavgarh is better than Kanha. Though the size is smaller, but there is high chance of sighting the tiger here, because the number of tigers in Bandhavgarh is more than Kanha, that too in a comperatively smaller zone.

I have seen 5 tigers in a group in the afternoon safari (on the elephant's back.)

Edited: 30 September 2010, 07:24
New Delhi, India
Destination Expert
for New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
7,622 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kanha Tiger Reserve vs Bandhavgarh Tiger Reserve

Another vote for Bandhavgarh.

Glendale, CA
Level Contributor
72 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kanha Tiger Reserve vs Bandhavgarh Tiger Reserve

Wow! No votes for Kanha at all. Well, I guess Bandhavgarh it is. Thank you!

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kanha Tiger Reserve vs Bandhavgarh Tiger Reserve

I too would prefer Bandhavgadh.

Vivek

Glendale, CA
Level Contributor
72 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kanha Tiger Reserve vs Bandhavgarh Tiger Reserve

Thanks to everyone! I really appreciate your comments.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
4 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kanha Tiger Reserve vs Bandhavgarh Tiger Reserve

Hi there

I guess around now you will be in Bandhavgarh. I too am facing the same predicament and had not even considered Kanha. But, was Bandhavgarh extremely busy? Thx

Holland
Level Contributor
3,056 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kanha Tiger Reserve vs Bandhavgarh Tiger Reserve

Well I had seven really good (read long) sighting of tigers in one day so my vote would be for Bandavgarh....

However esteemed member Deepa had a lot of good things to say about Khanna, hopefully she'll swing by and relate her experiences.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
4 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kanha Tiger Reserve vs Bandhavgarh Tiger Reserve

That's great to hear. Not too many other vehicles? And did you drive around with your own guide (ie without other vehicles around? Or sort of follow the pack?! Looking forward to Deepa's comments too. Many thanks

Holland
Level Contributor
3,056 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kanha Tiger Reserve vs Bandhavgarh Tiger Reserve

This was some time ago and yes we had our own vehicle, and told the driver straight away we were not interested in joining the circus wherebye a tiger is found using spotters, then elephants and tourists all descend on the poor creature, and you are charged for a short ride on the elephant to see the tiger.

Resulting in a very cosmetic and contrived experience..

However I've read on other forums that this congregating on the spotted tiger is now obligatory (I would love to hear this isn't so) you HAVE to join the circus. Which if true is kinda disappointing.

We told our driver Salim (one of the best) we were just as interested in seeing the other wildlife and birds, so we drove around on our own most of the time instead of joining the convoy of vehicles solely intent in finding tigers at any cost,

We were lucky due to an excellent guide in the morning and Salim's experise in the evening that we saw so many tiger, but still luck played it's part......

Costs have skyrocketed in the interveing years we paid 2500Rps for all fees including the Jeep, these days it costs more than 5000Rps for foreigeners...

I would still pay 5000Rps for the experience though, no doubt.