We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time to Riviera Nayarit question

Vancouver
2 posts
Save Topic
1st time to Riviera Nayarit question

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what the beaches are like ~ we are planning a trip at the Riu Jalisco but I've heard you can't play in the ocean because of the undercurrent :-(

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
3,126 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time to Riviera Nayarit question

Yes, you can play in the ocean, but the waves can be dangerous. Just remember, when you are boggie boarding, if you get caught in a bigger wave than you like, to dive into it, not over it. It will roll over your head and you'll be out of the wave in seconds.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
1,847 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time to Riviera Nayarit question

The waves can be powerful (but not all the time) and must be respected, but I've never heard of undercurrents being a problem in the Nuevo area. Where did you get that information? We've been playing in the ocean there for years, with no issues.

mexico
Level Contributor
119 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time to Riviera Nayarit question

I`v stayed at the Riu and we had a great time in the ocean. I love the beach in that area! Yes, the waves can be high sometimes, but we had fun playing in the ocean with our kids.

Yardley...
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st time to Riviera Nayarit question

it's funny but as someone who grew up on the east coast and spent my summers at the beach and still spend as much time as possible there i find the waves and undertow (current) non-existent in nuevo compared to what i'm accustomed to. this is one of those subjective questions depending on your own experiences. i will say that the thermal winds generated in the afternoons do make the bay more choppy compared to it's glass-like conditions in the mornings and around 6 or so when the heat settles down. we're usually there in may and nov each year.

Edited: 21 October 2012, 16:59
B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
12,051 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st time to Riviera Nayarit question

The Beach is One of the Best for walking on... for miles and miles,way better than PVR. Waves small compared to lots of other places. Are you thinking of Cabo Riu ? The Weather is alway a factor.. just Watch the Color of the Flags the Resort puts up.

6. Re: 1st time to Riviera Nayarit question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2013, 10:18