We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
1,182 posts
239 reviews
Save Topic
Safety

Hi, all.

I have traveled to Mexico at least 6 times, the most recent time this past January; so I understand many areas are safe and the media reports are way out of whack. I feel as safe in PDC and the surrounding area as I do (sometimes more) than I do here.

That said, I know nothing about the Riviera Nayarit area. I tried to find it on some of the crime stat maps but wasn't quite sure what I was looking at. I know there are some areas on the West Coast I wouldn't go, but aren't sure how far they are from Riviera Nayarit. I did a search but most of the posts I found were pretty old and I know this information changes from year to year.

OK, justification for my question over :-). I just heard about the new Iberostar and am thinking it could be a possibility for a trip our extended family is trying to plan (including an overprotective brother and his daughter so I need to be able to answer these questions). Any concerns about the area, the area between RN and the airport, or anything else I should keep in mind? Of course I know to use common sense, same as I would here.

Thank you so much. I appreciate your help. Really! Hope you are all having a great day and evening.

Steph

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
6,195 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety

I think it is safe.Going in Nov.again.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
8,888 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety

Yes it is safe. Been going to the Puero Vallarta/Nuevo Vallarta area for over 25 years (and doing it twice a year since 2001). Last trip in May. The Iberstar is under construction with a tentative opening in December.

Suggest you check the Punta Mita (where the Iberstar will be) , Nuevo Vallarta and Puerto Vallarta forums. Type "safety" in the search box of each and you will find numerous posts about safety. That should give you plenty of info to alleviate everyone's fears.

Mentioned in this post
Nuevo Vallarta
Nuevo Vallarta
Riviera Nayarit, Mexico
Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco, Mexico
Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
1,182 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety

Thanks, Yaz and Senorbobo. Senor- I actually did a few searches and am not getting great results. Maybe I'm being too specific or doing so in less active forums. I'll expand my search criteria.

I appreciate your words! Looking for next summer so I'll have to see what the prices are like then!

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety

You will find a lot more discussion of safety-related issues on the Puerto Vallarta forum. Most of the discussion there is relevant to the Riviera Nayarit area in general. In my experience, there are few safety concerns in the Vallarta area. You are unlikely to encounter any problems as long as you exercise common sense and don't engage in high risk activities.

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco, Mexico
Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
1,182 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety

Thanks, OT!

London
Level Contributor
58 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety

Hi There!

Would love to know if you went and how you found the area and any safety concerns?

Thanks so much!

B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
12,626 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g679578-i12004-k66…

lots more posts on PVR forum.

We go to Nuevo and area, about 2 times a Year... Never any problem..Very very safe.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,963 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety

The new Iberostar is at Litibú which is on the road between Punta Mita and Sayulita. Very safe. We have a place on the next beach to it.

The closest Fórums to it would be Punta Mita and Sayulita.

Mentioned in this post
Sayulita
Sayulita
Riviera Nayarit, Mexico
9. Re: Safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 July 2014, 05:15