We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safety????

Minnesota
Level Contributor
439 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
safety????

Should we have safety concerns about traveling to the Riviera Nayarit area? Has anyone had or heard of concerns of traveling here or the Puerto Vallarta area with our children?

I know that so far the state/gov. are saying it is ok.... but I'm not sure if I feel safe, especially with our daughters along.

MNJulie~

Bloomington...
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: safety????

Julie,

It is very safe and we are going for our third trip, I felt safer in this area than I would if my kids were in Cancun. Just like any place as long as common sense is used no worries. This area is very quiet compared to if you were staying in Puerto Vallarta.

We accidentally left our camera in a taxi we took from the Riu Palace and the cab driver got it back to us the next day. That is honesty you will not always find in MN.

It is a wonderful area and that is why we keep going back.

Riviera Nayarit...
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
9,673 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: safety????

Could you be more specific about your concerns? Are you concerned about food poisoning, kidnapping, tripping on the cobblestones, machete-wielding drug cartel members or rip-tides in the water near the beach? I could go on and on. It sounds like your children are not old enough to get into any trouble if they go out by themselves.

The State Dept. warnings really zero in on areas that should be avoided.

I can tell you that my legal residence is in Illinois, but I'm one who also lives in Bucerias more than I'm in the U.S. these days. I'm on my own and I feel safe in both this part of Mexico and an upscale Chicago suburb.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
937 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: safety????

http://isitsafetotraveltomexico.com/

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: safety????

I agree with pretty much all of the above posts. Don't let well-intentioned but misinformed friends and family members, or blazing media headlines that do their best to imply all of Mexico is unsafe, deter you from going to the Vallarta area. Pack your common sense and use it, and you should have smooth sailing. Make sure you get out and explore your surroundings once you're there, as there are many interesting (and safe) things to see and do in the area!

Minnesota
Level Contributor
439 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: safety????

lol, although I have gotten sick from food in mexico before, It is the safety of our family.. kidnapping etc, that most concerns me. our girls are 18 and 20.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,278 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: safety????

Tourists are very safe in the tourist areas.

I am not sure I have heard of a foreign tourist being kidnapped in Mexico yet....so that to me would a non-issue to fret about. :)

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
937 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: safety????

MNJulie, you seem to have traveled to Mexico (and elsewhere) many times. Why the specific concerns regarding 'kidnapping etc.' now?

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
105 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: safety????

Julie,

I have travelled to this area with my children alone and have never been worried. Of course you have to use common sense, I don't go out late at night, take a taxi after dark etc but these are the same precautions I would use when travelling anywhere. I have always been treated respectfully, and locals always willing to give directions etc when needed.

You will prob hear the same things I am hearing right now from people who have never been to this area of Mexico, (or possibly any other country) saying how dangerous it is and how they can't believe why I would want to go to Mexico without my husband on a girls only trip. Well let me tell you, those people can stay home and live in their little bubble.. leaves us to have a better time on holidays and not read all the horrible reviews of how their trips were so horrible, birds near the tables, power going out, low water pressure.. Sorry off my soap box now ;)

Have a great trip, enjoy the sun, sand and culture.!!

tlc

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: safety????

Julie, take a look at the trip report at the following link. It's written by somebody who stays at a condo near the Rius, and has two daughters about the same age as yours. It may help with your comfort level about the area!

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g150793-i46-k714499…

Bloomington...
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: safety????

Love that review OT. And Julie I took my kids to Acapulco in 2006 but would I go back there now? Heck no I love the Nuevo Vallarta area so much and we even did the Bar Crawl with the kids on Spring Break in 2009 and felt safe as well. Nuevo area is what we call a gated community here in Minnesota. The Mall of America is more scarier than this place:)