We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

any recent riu palace pacifico travelers?

Minnesota
Level Contributor
439 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
any recent riu palace pacifico travelers?

I see posts from years past, anyone been there that can shed light on the property?

food quality? Are there many ppl around my kids ages, 18 & 20? how is the entertainment? (night and day).

Is the liquor top shelf?

is the room service really 24 hr and is it alright?

how is the wifi reception?

.....oh! and how do ppl recommend making calls home????? (to the states).

how is the area for boogie boarding?

how much is a taxi ride to PV for 4 ppl?

anything else would be appreciated!

Thank you!!!!

MNJulie~

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
902 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: any recent riu palace pacifico travelers?

Hi, friends of ours were just there at Christmas and had no complains. They reported that the food was very good. I strongly suggest you read through the recent reviews for the resort, and see what multiple users have to say. But, I don't think you could go wrong with it, as it's very highly rated.

The water there can be rough at times. All the better for boogie boarding so long as the red flag doesn't go up.

B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
11,251 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: any recent riu palace pacifico travelers?

I see you are asking questions on Domican also. IMHO Pt.Vallarta will be much safer for Young adults.

The Riu Palace has NO disco... they would have to walk about 3-4 city blocks to the Jalisco or VAllarta. and at late night time.. a CAB ride for sure.

The Palace has mostly Older couples.. some with Kids., NO separate Kids pool., just One pool with swim up bar.

Is this trip for Spring break ? if so.. Nuevo is NOT the party place. you would have to go to Pt.Vallarta for the clubs.. at least a $25.00 cab ride each way. about 40 min.taxi ride.

Go to the NUEVO forum.. for lots more Info.Posts.. and check the Reviews there also.

Edited: 16 February 2014, 20:12
Bloomington...
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: any recent riu palace pacifico travelers?

Top shelf liquor is available just have to ask. Boogie boarding is great along with Kayaks and Hobie cats to use. Room service is available but very limited menu. Wifi is fine. As for calls check with your carrier I have Verizon and I never have had huge charges calling home. But now everyone just emails and much easier to check emails each day.

As others indicated they have a nightly show but there is no Disco and after 11pm it gets pretty quiet.

Buffet is very big and lots of variety. And you also can use the Jalisco & Vallarta just not for dinner.

Do not know about cab fare since we always book with Apple and transportation is included to your Hotel.

Edited: 16 February 2014, 22:43
Minnesota
Level Contributor
439 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: any recent riu palace pacifico travelers?

I didn't realize that the other riu's were soo far away :(

we all like to walk... but 4 blocks....

no spring break partying for us so the discos being a distance isn't a problem.

any suggestions for dining in PV and Bucerias (on the beach in Bucerias)?

Thanks so much

MNJulie~

Bloomington...
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: any recent riu palace pacifico travelers?

Julie

Check out the Bucerias forum. There are many recommendations for dinner on the beach and which places are better. I personally only go to Bucerias since the cab ride is only about 85 pesos and to Puerto Vallarta cab was about $25. But if this is your first trip to the area you do need to walk the Macelon and there are places to eat there as well just plan to be seated before sunset either location you will love it. All first timers do have to check out the Macelon, the sand sculptures are amazing.

This will be my 4th trip and that is why I only go to Bucerias. I like the small village aspect:)

The other Riu;s are down the beach but it is a nice walk, I walk there and back as often as I can when we are there to burn off all those meals!

Edited: 18 February 2014, 02:31
Stow, Ohio
Level Contributor
885 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: any recent riu palace pacifico travelers?

MNJulie,

For phone calls/text messages, there is a great App for IPhones and Androids called Viber. It's free for calls, texts, and pictures between US, Canada, and Mexico if both parties have the App on their phone [must be on WiFi to use it.] If you will be calling a landline back in the States, you can buy credits on Viber Out [on the App itself] - just used this in Cabo a week ago and it worked great. I think the rate to call a landline in the US was about 2 cents a minute! Again, your cell phone has to be connected to WiFi to make the outgoing call.

Hope this helps!

Michelle

Minnesota
Level Contributor
439 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: any recent riu palace pacifico travelers?

just the sending phone have to be on wifi or both?

I just may have to try this!!!

MNJulie~

Minnesota
Level Contributor
439 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: any recent riu palace pacifico travelers?

for those who have stayed recently.....

hows the amount of "kids" around 18 -20 age ? My kids are a little worried that they arent going to have ppl to talk to and poss hang with.....

Is the hotel running anywhere near capacity? or is it dead there?

I will keep checking in as our date gets closer.... April.

MNJulie~

Stow, Ohio
Level Contributor
885 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: any recent riu palace pacifico travelers?

MNJulie -

For the free call/text, both parties have to be on WiFi. When you click on the "contact", it will show whether or not they are online.

When we were in Cabo, if one of my friends would send me a text or try to call me, it would not come thru if I was not online, but would see the text or missed call when I did get online. [had my data set to "off" on my IPhone while we were there]

There's another App for IPhones called MagicJack [not sure if they have Android app] - Its free to call a landline in US while in Mexico. I did not use this one, but have a friend that lives in Cabo and she uses it almost daily to call her mom back in Canada. This is for calls only, no texting. I don't believe the other party can call you, but not certain. I did download it and it gave me a phone number from Florida - I never tried it.

We just booked Riu Palace for November....gonna be a really long wait! :-)

Michelle

B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
11,251 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: any recent riu palace pacifico travelers?

Map might help Julie: http://vallartainfo.com/nuevo.html

The beach way is a little shorter walk. Street a little longer.

Between Jalisco and Vallarta.. on street, it's a Block.

You teens will have a good time.. just talk to animation crew.

Edited: 22 February 2014, 18:27