We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

General Info Regarding Travel, Accommodation & Security

Noosa
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
General Info Regarding Travel, Accommodation & Security

I am in the planning stage of a trip to Sumatra. I intend to visit Bukit Lawang to experience the Orangutangs etc. Then travel to Lake Toba for relaxation and sightseeing. I would be interested in any comments from recent travellers to this area during 2011. Any accommodation recommendations, transport suggestions between locations and if there are any safety / security issues.

Australia
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: General Info Regarding Travel, Accommodation & Security

Hi,

Here are a couple of posts recently written about a trip to North Sumatra that took in Lake Toba.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294231-i9609-k470…

and if you scroll through the following link to Post 25.

you can read detail the trip by the poster from the link above.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g297725-i9610-k457…

and

you can read all of veejay's reports from her trip in March 2011 from this link of all the posts on the Sumatra forum.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g294231-i9609-Suma…

I have scanned maps of North Sumatra. If you are interested email me at pamela_fuge@yahoo.com.au

Pamela.

Edited: 04 August 2011, 13:43
Australia
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: General Info Regarding Travel, Accommodation & Security

Hi Again,

Not sure where you want stay in Bukit Lawang, but there are some excellent reviews here on TA about the accomodation in BL.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g680012-d146…

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g680012-d159…

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g680012-d177…

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g680012-d119…

Pamela

London
Level Contributor
11 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: General Info Regarding Travel, Accommodation & Security

We were in BL in October 2010. There is a lot of good accommodation to choose from, we stayed in a little place two thirds of the way up the river on the right, it only had two rooms and was run by a lovely girl called Yanti who, though she spoke little English always looked after us and even took us down to the bus stop and made sure we didn't get ripped off. I think her place was called Yanti's too she also hire's out rubber tubes for some great tubing if you are caeful. Whilst in BL have a fruit salad at Mama's (amazing), Eat at Ida's (v.v. cheap, good local food and juices), arrange a woodcarving course with Jansen. Go for a one day trek with Obi one and cucumber. Ask around for names, most people know each other

In Toba, if you like it quiet and don't mind a walk, stay at Tuk Tuk Timbul. Its outside of Samosir which can be a plus or minus depending on your point of view, its cheap, good quality and clean accommodation in a beautiful spot on the lake. It's superbly managed (by the lovely Dutch lady, hard as nails with a heart of gold) Nanda, You must try the Batak special and the Tolong Belanda juice.

We found Sumatran people really freindly, just take all the usual safety precautions and try and learn a little of the language. It's well worth it.

4. Re: General Info Regarding Travel, Accommodation & Security

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2011, 12:54
London
Level Contributor
11 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: General Info Regarding Travel, Accommodation & Security

Anyone reading the above comment from Samosir cottages should be aware that this is a sales pitch and that it is vastly overpriced on both counts,

I was in Toba in peak season this year, there is plenty of accommodation in Toba at a fraction of this price quoted for an equal if not better standard. I know this as we went for a drink with an aussie guy who was staying at the villas, he showed us his aircon room and it was pleasant. He paid 150.000 for it. We paid 60,000 for ours somewhere else, it was great.

Also transport by local bus to parapat is cheap (44,000) one way plus a cheap becak from the airport to the southern bus station though it can take a while but tou get to see local life. A space in a 7 seater car is about 75-90,000 (i'm not quite sure) comfortable and quicker too. Loads of companies next to the southern bus station which is easy to get to try and sit near the front, you get the window that way, its what the locals do. Both buses and cars left pretty regularly, on the when full sysstem, the longest we waited was 10 minutes. The ferry across to Toba costs around 7,000 for the large, very slow ferry or the faster ferry was around 20-25,000.

Sorry for the rant but I don't like to see fellow travellers being taken advantage of, it's not a sales forum.

6. Re: General Info Regarding Travel, Accommodation & Security

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 00:18
Get answers to your questions about Bukit Lawang