We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I use IPad in remote areas .Ortum

Morecambe
Level Contributor
108 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Can I use IPad in remote areas .Ortum

i want to use an Ipad in Kenya in remote districts. I used my ipone last time and bought Safaricom which was intermittant.

1. Can I use Ipad in Africa. If I can do I need to buy safaricon bun dles. Will i be able to buy top ups in remote areas.

2. Would you advise 3g as I am going to buy an Ipad. Or tether it to my Iphone.

3. Is it cheaper to buy my Ipad in Kenya.?

4 replies to this topic
Mombasa, Kenya
Level Contributor
607 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I use IPad in remote areas .Ortum

Whether you use your iPad or iPhone you will get as good a reception as your Safaricom signal allows you in a particular area, regardless of what you use. So it is purely a matter of convenience whether to use iPhone or iPad. Although the country is pretty much covered by Safaricom signal, there are places where the signal is not strong or is not there altogether. I use both and they work well depending on the signal.

Prices here are higher than in the USA but I think slightly lower than in the UK, but do not count on availability of what you want here. If you want an iPad I would buy it overseas and come with it. If you need it only to get emails and do occasional browsing then iPhone is sufficient.

Larissa

Tijara Beach Hotel

Morecambe
Level Contributor
108 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I use IPad in remote areas .Ortum

many thanks. Do you have an Ipad and if so do you vhange your sim card at tth airport. Have you tried tethering from your phone onto an IPan WiFi not 3G

Mombasa, Kenya
Level Contributor
607 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I use IPad in remote areas .Ortum

I live in Kenya so my change will be done overseas when I travel :)

I prefer to have a separate sim card for both of them as it is more convenient for me personally. At my hotel I use wi fi and I like to have them both working independently, hence a separate sim card. I never tried tethering so can't really comment here, sorry, but here is what I found

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3020040…

isource.com/2012/…

I hope this is helpful :)

Larissa

Tijara Beach Hotel

new york city
Level Contributor
94 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can I use IPad in remote areas .Ortum

In August 2011 we got a safaricom mini sim card with data and used our iPads in Nairobi, Samburu, Lake Nakuru and Mara. We surfed quite a bit driving in between locations and had pretty good service except in Lake Nakuru which was very mediocre. Frankly we were pretty impressed with the service we got throughout Kenya.

Reply to: Can I use IPad in remote areas .Ortum
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Eldoret