We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guajira Trip - Punta Gallinas

Toronto
Level Contributor
82 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Guajira Trip - Punta Gallinas

I want to visit punta gallinas in early january and I'm wondering if it is feasible to travel to Riohacha and find a reliable tour operator there or if it is better to book in advance. I read in the forum that Kai ecotravel and Adventure Colombia are good companies. I also found out that they are at least twice as expensive. Anyone out there with some other suggestions? As everybody else, I truly want to enjoy the experience and pay a good price. I don't want to spend my trip arguing with a shady tour guide. But I don't want to give away my money if there is no need to. I would appreciate any comments. Cheers

8 replies to this topic
Riohacha, Colombia
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Guajira Trip - Punta Gallinas

I recommend Kai Ecotravel. I know the owner Francisco personally and trust him. He can help you either organize your trip or give you the info you need to travel there on your own. Sometimes it is better to pay a bit more than to be stranded on the road because the car broke down. You can contact Francisco at info@kaiecotravel.com. Enjoy this beautiful location.

Toronto
Level Contributor
82 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Guajira Trip - Punta Gallinas

So I ended up going with Kai tours. Happily and luckily I went to Cabo AND Punta Gallinas. Cabo is a one-street village with 20 or 30 houses that double as tourist accomodations. Nice, shallow beach and good views but to be honest, nothing extraordinary.I would not go to Guajira for Cabo only.From there we were driven in a 4x4 about an hour north where we took a small boat for a horrendous 3.5 hours trip to Punta Gallinas. The wind was horrible and me and the other tourists agreed this was a near-death experience. The good news is that Punta Gallinas is spectacular. There's a shed with hammocks plus shared washrooms and a kitchen and that's it.But the desert is georgeous. Mind you, there's nothing other than open space and some people may not like it, but I loved it. When we got there, we complained to Francisco about the ride and he agreed to send us back the OTHER way: a nice 30 min boat ride across the strait and then a fantastic 3 hour drive to Cabo thru a beautiful, perfectly flat desert. So whenever you go to Punta Gallinas make absolutely clear that you want the car ride and NOT the extended boat ride. I repeat: Do NOT take the 3.5 hour boat. Even if they tell you that it was a bad day, that the wind is not always that strong,that if you take the boat you'll obtain immortality...still say no.Guajira is very different from the green, lush Colombia I knew, but its stark landscapes and unique wayuu culture are in my view fantastic.

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
3,777 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Guajira Trip - Punta Gallinas

nomadaguy, thanks for posting your Cabo trip report.

Cabo and in particular Punta Gallinas are defiantly off the beaten track; getting there can be very much part of the adventure…

What other parts of Colombia did you visit?

Edited: 24 January 2013, 16:40
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Guajira Trip - Punta Gallinas

Thanks so much for your advice about getting to Punta Gallina...tour companies recommend sleeping bag...do we really need one or are our pants and polar fleeces enough? Also did Kai provide you with some water? Chers,

Jackie

Toronto
Level Contributor
82 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Guajira Trip - Punta Gallinas

Jackienc64:

You are going to a desert so it is boiling hot during the day and rather cold at night. That being said, people sleep in "chinchorros" which are similar to hammocks buth with flaps that you can wrap around yourself to keep you warm. If you are traveling light, a fleece blanket would be much better.

Kai only gives you one drink with each meal, but in Cabo and Punta Gallinas you can buy bottled water, it is a bit pricier but I prefer to spend a few dollars more and travel light. Have a good trip!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Guajira Trip - Punta Gallinas

Thanks for the tips!

Hillsborough, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Guajira Trip - Punta Gallinas

My cousin Jacobo Arends Ballesteros runs the trip to Punta Gallinas. My uncle used to live there and had children there. The viliage is called Rancheria Jacobo Arends. It is named after my cousin.

He runs the trip from Uribe. You just need to grab a transportation to Uribe.

He owns the Hospedaje y Restaurante Kijorú his phone number is 3116976661

Give him a call. tell him Randolph send you.

Paris, France
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Guajira Trip - Punta Gallinas

We did a 3 days trip in Guajira with KAI ECO TRAVEL with a group of 5 people.

We were very disappointed since our guide was not a guide but a driver; The name of our guide was JAIME. He didn't know anything about the wayuu people and the places we visited. He was always sleeeping in his hamac while we were enjoying the beach and places. It's such a pity and so frustating to go on a tour and feel like you didn't learn anything about the places you visited.

We told KAI ECO TRAVEL that we were very disappointed and they told us they were surprised that our guide didn't provide any information.. They didn(t even offer a discount.

I would not recommend this agency.

Reply to: Guajira Trip - Punta Gallinas
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about La Guajira Department