We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

House reef

The Woodlands, Texas
Level Contributor
13 posts
46 reviews
39 helpful votes
House reef

Am looking at booking a trip to the Maldives in May. We snorkel quite a bit and having a good house reef is important to us. What are the best house reefs amoung the resorts? Thanks for your suggestions.

9 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,715 posts
203 reviews
375 helpful votes
1. Re: House reef

There are several great house reefs. What is your budget and other priorities ?

The Woodlands, Texas
Level Contributor
13 posts
46 reviews
39 helpful votes
2. Re: House reef

We are experianced snorkelers and have been all over the world snorkeling. Not so worried about the cost since nothing seems to be cheap. Just want a really good house reef we can swim out to and see interesting stuff. I understand that most of the reefs have some dead coral but it would be nice to see some color. We will be in an over the water bungalow and the reef is a high ptiority. Thank you so much for your feedback

Kirkland, Washington
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
103 reviews
48 helpful votes
3. Re: House reef

We loved the house reef at W Resort and the entire stay was amazing

Breckenridge...
Level Contributor
404 posts
265 reviews
197 helpful votes
4. Re: House reef

Hi Texas traveler!

AK is amazing for fish soup and the corals are not bad considering …

W

Kandolhu

Baros

Banyan tree

Ihuru

Ayada

Park Hyatt

Mirihi

Plovdiv, Bulgaria
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
151 reviews
136 helpful votes
5. Re: House reef

I wouldn't recommend Angsana Ihuru or Banyan Tree Vabbinfaru to a person who is "not worried about the cost". While they're not bad by any means, I think the others listed are much better.

If it was me I'd probably split it between W for luxury and Baros for snorkeling and easy flight out of Male.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,715 posts
203 reviews
375 helpful votes
6. Re: House reef

Kandolhu is my favourite reef and has great coral regrowth.

Adelaide, Australia
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,821 posts
296 reviews
320 helpful votes
7. Re: House reef

Kandolhu has some of the best regrowth of coral in the Maldives. I was there in June and adored the resort and the reef.

I think I heard PHH was also recovering well but I cannot recall where I heard this?

Breckenridge...
Level Contributor
404 posts
265 reviews
197 helpful votes
8. Re: House reef

As Ventsi said scratch Banyan tree and ihuru as they do not have overwater rooms and that is a criteria …..

Out of rest of the list I would consider AK , Baros or Kandolhu depending on what kind of vibe you want. Kandolhu being a really pretty , traditional small Maldivian island and AK being perhaps a less formal island than Baros… we did really love the wow factor of the ow Baros rooms with the modern sand, water and sky theme ….The AK rooms are almost all newly renovated, huge, upscale, and also really lovely with stunning views from the bathroom etc…in terms of snorkeling Baros and Kandolhu had more sharks than AK but Ak had more fish soup. The corals at AK are recovering nicely too …Baros does have some sea walls whereas Kandolhu and AK do not

W also had large amounts of sharks in groups……

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,715 posts
203 reviews
375 helpful votes
9. Re: House reef

Baros defiantly does not have AI and nor does AK. At least did not when we went

Edited: 1 year ago
Reply to: House reef
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Huvahandhoo Island
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in United Kingdom. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.