We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Siem Reap to Kratie

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Topic
Siem Reap to Kratie

I would like to see both the dolphins in Kratie and the amazing temple complexes located in Siem reap. What is the safest, cheapest way I can get there for a family of 4?

6 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
15,141 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Siem Reap to Kratie

Hello fish,

It would help if you stated your proposed point of entry in to Cambodia.

Best regards. Ian

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
15,141 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Siem Reap to Kratie

Hello again fish.

However, if your only interests in Cambodia are the World Heritage Listed Temples and the Irrawaddy Dolphins at Kratie, then it would be logical for your family to fly in to Siem Reap - the Angkor zone is then right on your doorstep so to speak. As for Kratie, it is now only a five hour or so van trip away. You would need to hire a fan for your family so best to ask your hotel to start getting you some quotes. Alternatively, you just buy tickets on one of the several, not many, daily van services to Kratie and take pot luck as to how crowded it may be on the actual day of travel. I can't advise as to the cost of a private van hire from Siem Reap to Kratie because I have not personally done this.

Best regards. Ian

Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
4,719 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Siem Reap to Kratie

You could make an enquiry here, regarding the price.

http://www.asiavantransfer.com/schedule.html

My wife and I have used this transport company in the past, and found them to be more than acceptable.

Have fun

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
15,141 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Siem Reap to Kratie

Hello Inaspin,

Thanks for this lead. Interesting reading.

However, I note that this company blatantly states that a Cambodian Tourist Visa is USD$35 and not the correct $30. No objections to companies stating $30 for the Tourist Visa plus a service fee of $5 if obtained through them.

Best regards. Ian

Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
4,719 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Siem Reap to Kratie

I did notice that Ian, and I was surprised when I saw it, up until only recently this notification read $30.

Ok! I see what they’ve done Ian, if you have a look at the Visa, sorry “Visas” section of the site they state the official price of a visa for several different nations. They then go on to say….

“The visa can be done at the border on arrival without any problem, fill up entry card, visa form and walk to window, just like in any other country,…..they will ask you for a picture, and 35$ (T) for tourist visa 30 days….. ,and 2$ for stamping this visa”

I’m not sure where the $2 for stamping the visa comes in… but if you are coming into Cambodia, through the Tropieng Kreal International Check Point (Stung Treng Province) as this section relates to, you will be asked for $2 to be stamped out of Laos. Perhaps this is what the $2 reference is about?

After making your way past the fake health check tent to immigration this is where (as indicated in their how to) "you will be asked for, a picture and $35 US" Now I’m not saying it’s right, I’m just saying (along with the company) that this is what you will be asked for.

This is an extract from a how to I wrote about that crossing twelve months ago (has it been that long?) when at the time the T visa would have only cost you $20.

tripadvisor.com.au/…59423858

“Walk past the boom gate to the little shed/office to the right. This is where you hand them your VOA application form and 1 photograph of…yourself. You then return to the boom gate and pay your Visa fee, 25 US$ yes yes I know VOA = 20$.... If you can get it for that you very well could be the chosen one”

Apparently I’m not

Have fun

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
15,141 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Siem Reap to Kratie

I know we are going a bit off topic but if I were to be crossing from the Lao PDR in to Cambodia I would get my Cambodian Visa in person in advance at the Cambodian Embassy in Vientiane.

And for the other way round leaving Cambodia for the Lao PDR I would and have got my Lao Visa in advance in person at the Lao PDR Embassy in Phnom Penh.

Doing the above stops, or at least limits, the silly games these two border post can and do play with tourists.

They hate me because I carry with my passport an up to date International Health Certificate (IHC) and refuse to pay anything for bogus health checks and the like.

Best regards. Ian

Reply to: Siem Reap to Kratie
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kratie
Recent Conversations
More Kratie Topics