We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

do it yourself or tour package?

North Battleford...
Level Contributor
7 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
do it yourself or tour package?

I am planning to explore Coron, which way is best to do, get a package tour that is sometimes more costly or do it yourself to save some money to fit on my budget ? Flight ticket is a separate budget..

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,229 posts
2,177 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: do it yourself or tour package?

cha, what is your daily budget for (a) travel and tours (b) accommodation and food?

North Battleford...
Level Contributor
7 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: do it yourself or tour package?

I got quote of $145 per head for a tour package 4D/3N accomodation with roundtrip airport transfers, breakfast and lunch, Coron town tour,(shops, maquinit hot springs),Coron Island tour (Kayangan Lake,twin lagoon, barracuda lake, banol beach, siette pecados and skeleton wreck), Is this a reasonable price? or I can save more if I just check in for accomodation and do the tours ourselves (my husband and I)?

Thanks..

Mentioned in this post
Kayangan Lake
Kayangan Lake
2,026 Reviews
Busuanga Island, Philippines
Makati, Philippines
Level Contributor
2 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: do it yourself or tour package?

go for a tour package. It's hassle free. Look for a 4d3n package w/o the coron town tour because you can do this during free time or on your last day before your flight. I've been to Coron twice, first time was 4d3n, 2nd time was 3d2n. The rate quoted to you is a bit high. I've been to all those attractions you've mentioned during the 3d2n stay including dinner and snacks for only Php4480 (approx. $100). Although I've spent around Php7000 ($155) during our 4d3n tour, we've been to Malcapuya Island and Calumboyan Island plus a hidden hot spring near the mangroves in Busuanga Islands. And that rate includes all meals plus snacks.

Where did you inquire?

Mentioned in this post
Coron
Coron
Malcapuya Island
Malcapuya Island
529 Reviews
Busuanga Island
Busuanga Island
Palawan Province, Philippines
Metro Manila...
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
19,904 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: do it yourself or tour package?

When you get there almost all hotels and inns there are offering tours so you could just book any tours that you want when you arrive depending on what are your interests and your budget of course.

5. Re: do it yourself or tour package?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 December 2011, 11:05
Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,633 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: do it yourself or tour package?

Do it yourself for sure..as Keg said.when you get there all will fall into place with the hotels or others offering such....

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
346 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: do it yourself or tour package?

Just for curiosity, so one just need to head to the pier and look for a boat? So do we tell the trike our destination as "pier" or there is a name for it?

Also, is it advisable to go to Malcapuya Island in the early afternoon. I understand that it may be a 2 hour ride from Coron.

Mentioned in this post
Malcapuya Island
Malcapuya Island
529 Reviews
Manila
Level Contributor
10 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: do it yourself or tour package?

Hi i was quoted 9k per person for 3 nyts 4 days in cvl full board meals n tours. Is it more cheaper to book separate tours? Even if we are just 2 pax? Hw much do boatmen charge for coron island tour? N malcapuyan? Also are there lutuan in the market where we can have fresh seafood cooked?:)

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: do it yourself or tour package?

Hi,

That's a bit high. You can get less expensive ones, just ask around once you are there. Also, the whole town is safe, so be frank when you ask.

Thanks,

Makati, Philippines
Level Contributor
78 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: do it yourself or tour package?

Pena, 9k is too much. For packaged tours 5k-6k is reasonable enough. Though i'd avdice to do a DIY tour. Just book a hotel. When you get to the airport, get brochures for island hopping tours so you can compare prices. You can also ask the hotel management if they do tours