We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just Back Report (JBR) Coron!

Which Coron hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
22,913 posts
1,622 reviews
Save Topic
Just Back Report (JBR) Coron!

I recently spent 4 days in Coron and thought I would share some information and details from my trip which may help others.

GETTING THERE

Easy to get to by direct flight from Manila to Busuanga(Coron) on a Turbo prop Plane. Several airlines fly this route. Just select the best deals at the time. Vans will be waiting with the arriving flights at Busuanga and take you direct to your hotel. The trip will cost a 150 Php per person each way. Trip takes 30- 45 minutes. Get your hotel to book your return trip to the airport.

Surprisingly Busuanga is the first airport Ive been to with no XRay machines for luggage. This is done manually. Annoying when one is departing.

ACCOMODATION

I stayed at GMG Hotel in Coron Town and wasn’t really impressed. The place was new but had shoddy workmanship, small rooms and it is still work in progress. Staff were lovely and it was smack bang in the middle of town. I checked out several other hotels in town and couldn’t really find any better. Nice accommodation in town seems limited. The exception being the newly opened Corto Del Mar Hotel where we had our best meal. Prices are very good for this fine dining establishment. Accomodation is not cheap at 6000Php per night. I viewed the Presidential Suite which was 12000Php per night and had 2 jacuzzis. Whilst expensive this 2 bedroom place may be a great option for families who can afford it and want some luxury. Perhaps look for promos.

http://www.cortodelmar.com/

Greater quality accommodation options can be found out in the islands like the newly opened 2 Seasons Resort (very expensive) Chindonan Resort, Mangenguey Island , or El Rio y Mar Resort to name a few. The disadvantage would be that you will need to pay inflated island hopping rates as charged by the resorts and you are at their mercy for drinks and dining.

I didn’t find Coron Town very appealing and it has no beach.

ISLAND HOPPING

The island hopping was fantastic and some of the best scenery one can see in the Philippines. I found El Nido Town more pleasant than Coron Town. El Nido Town was charismatic and it had a beach where one could dine at the many beachfront restaurants.

I joined groups for Island Hopping and did tours A B & C.They were fantastic. Met some great people on these tours who I intend to keep in contact with. Especially the French Guys who introduced me the the Corto Del Mar and for sharing their favourite eating places with me.

Malcapuya was one of our favourite beaches so do yourself a favour and spend a day out there. Get your own private boat grab some fresh seafood from the Coron Market and have the boatman cook it for you. And don’t forget the beers.

Kayangan Lake was probably our favourite scenic spot but there are many many other fantastic scenic places to visit. Many many secluded beaches.

EATING

I didn’t find the restaurants all that inspiring in Coron and my only outstanding dining experience was at Hotel Corto Del Mar Hotel.

Others restos that were worth visiting were:

*Kookie Restaurant with a slightly eccentric owner and an international menu including local food. Its near Coron Market and hard to find. You need to climb a narrow winding staircase to reach the small resto. It has views of Coron Market.

*La Serinetta Bar and Restaurant for dining and drinking, and great ambiance on the water. They allegedly do the best cocktails according to travellers I met but Im not a cocktail drinker but a beer guzzler :-)

TRANSPORT

Everything in town is close by so you can walk to most destinations. Tricycles are readily available though if needed. You will only need one if you want to do sightseeing of places like Tapas Hill and Maniquit Hot Springs

Here is another slide show of some of my pics. Hope you enjoy.

…tripadvisor.com/tripwow/ta-0755-a412-6682

Tommo

Edited: 04 February 2013, 03:08
11. Re: Just Back Report (JBR) Coron!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 07 April 2013, 06:05
Save Reply
12. Re: Just Back Report (JBR) Coron!

I tried to look for airline flying from Manila to Busuanga and I can't find any. Please tell me which airline you fly in.

Save Reply
13. Re: Just Back Report (JBR) Coron!

We are planning a 9 days trip to Philippines flying in Manila on 23 May and leaving 1/6. After looking up on trip advisor we plan to visit Coron and Bohol but having trouble to find transportation. Any suggestionfor our trip would be appreciated.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,730 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Just Back Report (JBR) Coron!

Manila to Busuanga. Plenty of flights per day.

Cebu Pacific and PAL Express flies there daily. Are you looking for it using the right tool?

Save Reply
15. Re: Just Back Report (JBR) Coron!

Thank you. I finally get the flight with the right tool. Is there any island hoping from Bohol.

clare,ireland
Level Contributor
5,334 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Just Back Report (JBR) Coron!

yes there is island hopping from bohol and cebu

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
22,913 posts
1,622 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Just Back Report (JBR) Coron!

mauiconference as this is a Coron Thread best to start your own relevant thread for best results.

Tommo

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Just Back Report (JBR) Coron!

a) There are flights from Manila to Coron.

b) To visit Bohol, you can either fly Coron to Manila, thence Manila to Tagbilaran or take ferries. I would suggest flights.

c) For all flight enquiries, see the individual websites of the low cost carriers in the Philippines - Cebu Pacific, Pal express, Zest airways and SEA express. Even flight costs vary depending on the flight you have chosen, it's date / time and any promos available.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
48 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Just Back Report (JBR) Coron!

Hi Tommo

Thanks for sharing your experiences of Palawan. I'm finding them so helpful as I'm heading over to coron on

1 aug 13 for 6 days wreck diving and site seeing. (We're from Perth, WA).

Can I ask you some further info if you don't mind Tommo?

Firstly, you mention private boat hire for the tours--did you use anyone in particular, or are there many over there? I would be interested in a recommendation for this.

Also--how did you go with money exchange in the Philippines? Did you have any trouble finding Atm's/getting cash etc.

Travellers chqs are outdated and don't seem to be too well received over there...is that a fair assumption.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers

Sue

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Just Back Report (JBR) Coron!

There are at least 3 ATM,s in Coron town ,

I personally did group tours which start at 650php per person, inclusive of all fees and lunch..

Maybe Tommo has some ideas for private hire, though many are available, check out "Nice in Paradise " tours.

For diving , I personally found "Rock steady divers" to be the most affordable and have the best lunch packages too, make sure you dive Barracuda lake, a truly surreal. experience of thermoclines.

www.rocksteadydivecenter.com