We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coron for a week

Which Coron hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
sheffield
Level Contributor
161 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Coron for a week

Hi, my family will be coming to the Philippines in November for a week. We have two daughters aged 8 and 10. My girls are good travellers and swimmers and are used to an adventurous holiday. However, we will have been travelling for 3 three weeks around Japan prior to the Philippines and I think we will be ready for a bit of relaxation. I love the look of Coron and was hoping to stay at either La Natura or Sophies for 4 days and 2 days on Sangat Island. Here are my concerns - the lack of beach on Coron itself means we are tied to day trips. I like the look of the day trips but as mentioned think we will be ready for chilling out. Are the day trips long? I am happy to spend some time at the hotel pools but again don't want to feel tied to doing that especially if the weather is not good. Is Coron the right choice for us (it looks stunning) or should we take the easy option and head to Bohol? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
22,913 posts
1,622 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coron for a week

Bohol has more to offer for a 1 week stay.

What about Boracay?

Tommo

sheffield
Level Contributor
161 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coron for a week

Hi Tommo, thanks for your response. Boracay looks like it has a gorgeous beach but it looks very very busy to me. Bohol looks nice and is definitely an option but I just felt that Coron looked very scenic with all those limestone cliffs and more jaw dropping. Why do you suggest Bohol over Coron? I would love the kids to have a Robinson Crusoe kind of experience with just the sounds of nature but I know they will also want ice creams and swimming pools. Such a lot of wonderful places in the philippines! How to choose?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
22,913 posts
1,622 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coron for a week

I think a week in Coron is too long for me perhaps not for you. You can cover most of the Island Hopping trips in 3 days. BTW Malcapua Island has probably one of the nicest beaches I have ever come across.

Pic here:

tripadvisor.com.au/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g…

I am one of those who thinks Coron is not that pleasant a town and accomodation and food options are quite limited. Spectacular scenery though is offered during Island Hopping.

You could split your time between both Bohol and Coron.

Tommo

Qatar
Level Contributor
174 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coron for a week

I think the OP is just really interested with bumming on the beach and not seeing what the whole place is all about. This is not a bad thing at all as sometimes I also just want to hang out comfortably somewhere and get my feet stuck somewhere where I could enjoy nature; no hurrying, looking at itineraries and stuff. I myself would love to have th esame experience as I've been to Bohol, Cebu and Palawan but haven't stayed in a beach front accomodation. bohol does offer some beach front accomodation but much can get really crowded at times. Too bad we weren't able to visit the fish sanctuary when we went as it was raining. Palawan does also offer some good beaches and snorkeling experience but again, you have to take boat rides to get you to the islands.

I'm still looking for accomodation in an island in which I can enjoy at least 4 days bumming and which doesn't cost an arm and a leg in Coron ;)

sheffield
Level Contributor
161 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coron for a week

Hi, thanks for all your ideas. Is is possible to stay at hotel near Coron town, visit a lovely beach then return to hotel for a swim in the afternoon. Our kids are good travellers but I much prefer to slow things down a bit for them. Am happy to do one long day trip but would like little boat rides to nearby beaches on the other days if at possible? (For example to Banol beach?? is that near). Thanks

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,846 posts
1,983 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coron for a week

Small beaches such as Shipwreck Cove are quite close to Coron town, but that beach has residents adjacent if I recall.

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
1,919 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Coron for a week

hi, personally if you are using this 1 week as a chill out stopover from japan, can i ask why you chose Coron, which you have to fly to from manila, so why not, for the same cost by plane, fly to Puerto Princesa on Palawan Island, take the RoRo bus to El Nido and stay at one of the many resorts in and around the township, then do one full day of island hopping (tour A & C) then just chill for the rest of the time, maybe take a banca over to Cadlao Island and visit the beaches along its southern coast, it is supposed to be amazing.

it would be a shame to stay in Coron township where there are no beaches, and it is apparently not the cleanest place around from all reports i have read.

there are so many nicer places than Coron for just chilling out, with beautiful beaches nearby, without having to go to them on banca boats.

i agree, Boracay is just far too commercialized and too many people around for my liking.

you could fly to Puerto Princesa and go to Port Barton and just chill there at one of the many beach front cottage resorts, and there are dozens of islnds and beaches nearby that you can visit easily by banca, the kids will love it.

mediafire.com/view/…Island_Camping_01.jpg

Edited: 25 March 2014, 10:22
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
22,913 posts
1,622 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Coron for a week

Best to listen to those who have actually been to both El Nido and Coron for comparison.

I enjoyed both places and there are pros and cons for each destination.

With a family I guess travelling to El Nido is more challenging and time consuming and the alternative of taking a direct flight via ITI is quite expensive.

Nicest accomodation in Coron Town is Corto Del Mar. Reviews here. Its not beachfront but the town has no great beach anyway.

tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel_Review-g729733-d367…

Tommo

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
1,919 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Coron for a week

one persons opinion of one place may be very different than someone else who has been to the same destination, and i know this all too well from my own experiences while spending the past few months researching my own destinations for my family to visit while we are in Palawan in April this year.

i know i have not been to Coron or El Nido (yet) but based on everything i have heard and seen, i was merely suggesting El Nido or Port Barton over Coron for a 4 or 5 night stay in the philippines.

to macsat130, all i can say is good luck with your trip, and wherever you go, i hope you enjoy it.

cheers

Quezon City...
Level Contributor
213 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Coron for a week

when i stayed in palawan i booked dos palmas which is on its own island with buffet meals included all day. you can tour underground river too. try gogling it. you can see coron busuanga and p.p. in 1 week. dos palmas plus underground river 3 days only, unless you want to bum around.you can stay in 3 hotels in coron,busuanga and p.p.you can visit calauit.just google where you want to go. almost everyone speaks english so you can easily ask where to go. i dont think there is good beach attached to p.p. thats why locals go to el nido or dos palmas which have their own islands.

Edited: 30 March 2014, 10:39