We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandals Whitehouse - Room Question

Bay Area, CA
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Topic
Sandals Whitehouse - Room Question

We were one of the many couples who arrived at Sandals Antigua this year and found that the new village was not complete. Sandals, gave us a replacement vacation to use at any of their resorts. We decided to experience a new property and chose SWH.

We are booked into the Penthouse Suite category. I have read that all the rooms are pretty much the same, except for location. Is there a building or location of a room that I should request. (i.e. Italian village, corner room, etc.) Are there some rooms with bigger patios?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! We are looking forward to our trip in March 08

Lucianna

Johnson City, TN
Level Contributor
453 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sandals Whitehouse - Room Question

I do not know if it fits the room category but I would recommend the Italian section. It is really close to the restaurants and the main pool. I talked with many couples who were in the other villages and most wished they had booked the Italian due to the long walk. It really isn't all that far but the sun can be very draining in Jamaica (or maybe it is the alcohol).

Bay Area, CA
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sandals Whitehouse - Room Question

orangenwhite,

Thank you for your recommendation. I heard that the Italian Village was closer than the other villages. Are all the rooms exactly the same?

Centereach, New York
Level Contributor
1,607 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sandals Whitehouse - Room Question

Yes, all rooms are exact except for when you are talking about suite categories. The difference in cost has to do with view.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
756 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sandals Whitehouse - Room Question

I think that all the suites are found in the Dutch and Italian villages (the French village soes not appear to have any suites based on the room descriptions at the Sandals website). As for which location is "best", that will depend on what you are looking for.

From my understanding (we won't be there 'till next summer), the Italian Village is closest the main plaza area (where all the resturants). It has no pool of it's own, but is nearset to the main pool. The Dutch Village is in the middle of the room blocks, and has it's own pool (with a bar, but not swim-up), dubbed the "quiet" pool by most people--very laid back and peaceful. The French village is the farthest room block from the main plaza area, and has it's own pool with swim-up bar. This is the "action" or "sports" pool where most of the water-games happen, and is described as very active.

If you want to see sunsets, it is my understanding that you would want to be in the French or Dutch villages (Dutch being best, from what I've heard).

The Italian village rooms have a better beach view, as there is no pool to overlook in order to see the ocean.

Everyone seems to have their own preference for room block. Me, I'm going on vacation to relax, and love to just lounge by the pool reading or listening to music, so have requested the Dutch village.

Hope this helps. . . .

Centereach, New York
Level Contributor
1,607 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sandals Whitehouse - Room Question

You have given a very accurate description of SWH as we have been there twice.

london,Canada
Level Contributor
1,445 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sandals Whitehouse - Room Question

All three villages have their own pool. The Italian village as well as its pool is closest to the restaurants and has the highest priced room categories. The Dutch village is next and then the French village being the furthest away . The beach grill is in front of the French village.

During the busy season the French pool is usually the more active but when we were there in the quiet season they moved the activities up to the Italian pool because there were more guests at that pool. Personally we enjoyed the French and the walk was much welcomed exercise after eating the incredible food. Also the beach on the Dutch and French side had less seaweed than the Italian side and was more quiet when we were there but that probably changes all the time.

We enjoyed our stay and wouldn't hesitate to go again. It's been one of the best resorts that we've stayed at - hope you have a wonderful time there.

Centereach, New York
Level Contributor
1,607 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sandals Whitehouse - Room Question

The Dutch pool and the area in front of the Dutch village in my opinion has the nicest stretch of beach (water clarity & no seaweed) of all the areas. The Dutch is the quietest village of the three regardless of the time of year you go.

Bay Area, CA
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Sandals Whitehouse - Room Question

Thanks for all your input. We are looking forward to our trip. I thought I read somewhere that the balconies are larger in the corner rooms. We have the penthouse suite, so I guess we will be in one of the first two villages.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Sandals Whitehouse - Room Question

Hi,

I was there in March 20, 2006 The resort is beautiful. Don't worry about your room. I booked a basic deluxe room and was upgraded because I was a returning guest. The room was beautiful, and as I recall all the rooms had a pretty good view. I was in the building furthest away from the restaurants etc. The walk is not long unless you have a disability where walking any distance may be a challenge for you. From that last building, it took less than 4 or 5 minutes to get to the main area of the hotel where the main restaurants are.

The only warning I have for you is the 2 hour bus ride from the Montego Bay airport. The road winds up and around the mountains. If you have vertigo like I do than take a gravol or similar pill for motion sickness and all should be o.k. The ride is very enlightening as to the local people's way of life. I

I think you'll have a great time if you enjoy staying at a resort. As for the atmosphere, it depends on whose vacationing at the resort. You can relax and be serene or if you meet some partiers, then you can party. If you have been to a Sandals before then you should know what to expect.

Enjoy!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Sandals Whitehouse - Room Question

Hi,

I was there in March 2006 The resort is beautiful. Don't worry about your room. I booked a basic deluxe room and was upgraded because I was a returning guest. The room was beautiful, and as I recall all the rooms had a pretty good view. I was in the building furthest away from the restaurants etc. The walk is not long unless you have a disability where walking any distance may be a challenge for you. From that last building, it took less than 4 or 5 minutes to get to the main area of the hotel where the main restaurants are.

The only warning I have for you is the 2 hour bus ride from the Montego Bay airport. The road winds up and around the mountains. If you have vertigo like I do than take a gravol or similar pill for motion sickness and all should be o.k. The ride is very enlightening as to the local people's way of life. I

I think you'll have a great time if you enjoy staying at a resort. As for the atmosphere, it depends on whose vacationing at the resort. You can relax and be serene or if you meet some partiers, then you can party. If you have been to a Sandals before then you should know what to expect.

Enjoy!

Get answers to your questions about Savanna La Mar
More Savanna La Mar Topics