We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying an internet dongle locally

Which Moraira hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
110 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Buying an internet dongle locally

We're due to visit Moraira (8th time!) but the place we're staying doesn't have any net access - and we really need it for various reasons. I might be able to use my phone as a dongle but it'll work out expensive.

Someone suggested there's a shop in Moraira that sells local dongles that would work our a lot cheaper than connecting via the UK. But....we've also been told you need to show you're a resident before you can buy any device with a Spanish mobile number attached/associated with it.

So will we be able to but a local dongle? And where's the shop? Somewhere along On Av Madrid?

Any suggestions gratefully received!

Many thanks,

Cheryl

London, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying an internet dongle locally

hi there

I have personal experience of this since my husband was in the very same position in April. After various trips to Telitec and the purchase of several bits of 'kit' - none of which worked!. A very nice guy in the computer repair shop recommended that he bought an 'orange' dongle from the internet/phone shop next to 'Select villas'. He does not have a spanish phone number and this works perfectly. I think the dongle itself was about €30/40 and then it is €3 per day. It basically works like pay as you go so when you don't switch it on you dont' get charged.

Beware however if you have an apple mac computer you will need to connect a usb hub - €6 euros from 'pc costa' on the way to el portet. By the way if you do have any problems the guy in pc costa is brilliant!

If you need any further (more technical) advice - I'll put my husband on....

SG

UK
Level Contributor
110 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying an internet dongle locally

Many thanks SG - really useful!

I do use an Apple Mac but I can't think why I'd need a USB hub....would Mr SG be able to pass comment?

Dongle deal sounds spot -on - we're in Spain a few times a year so it'll get good use!

Thanks,

Cheryl

London, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying an internet dongle locally

Mr sg says.

If you have installed one of the latest apple OS X updates ie 10.7.5 then there is a bug where dongles are not always found by the laptop when inserted in the USB port on the actual lap top. The guy at pc coste installed some new software and we bought a hub. This by passed the problem.

I suggest you buy a dongle and try it. And if there are any problems go to PC coste. He will hopefully remember what he did for us as it was only 4weeks ago. We too are in Spain about 4/5 times a year and this is the perfect solution. Good luck! Let me know if you think of anything else.

Sg

UK
Level Contributor
110 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying an internet dongle locally

Great advice Mr Sg!

Many thanks!!!!

Cheryl

UK
Level Contributor
57 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying an internet dongle locally

I use an Orange dongle whenever in Spain it cost 30 euro and included some free days usage back in 2010 (not sure exactly how many) Then it is 3 euro per day and you can top anywhere that offers "recarga movil". Sometimes they have an offer like a month's usage for 30 euro so check with the shop what is on at the time as this way could be cheaper if you are on 14 day holiday for example, connection is reliable and acceptable imo.

UK
Level Contributor
110 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying an internet dongle locally

Thanks for all your advice will keep you posted

Cheryl

UK
Level Contributor
110 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying an internet dongle locally

Many thanks for the advice. We got a dongle from the guy on Ave Madrid - €44 - but we also had to get the guy in pc costa to help us get it to work.

Ours didn't need a hub but wouldn't run on the Orange software built in the dongle - chap in costa had to connect to net to download an alternative so we couldn't have done it without a working dongle! (believe a chicken & egg situation!)

PC chap charged us €25 so not cheap but on otherhand it took 30 mins & it now works!

Many thanks!!!!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Buying an internet dongle locally

Glad you got it sorted. We had to do exactly the same but it works perfectly and is very fast. Enjoy your holiday. I can't wait to get back out there - away from all this rain!

9. Re: Buying an internet dongle locally

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2014, 07:18
Get answers to your questions about Moraira
Recent Conversations
More Moraira Topics