We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Life in Moraira

Durham, United...
9 posts
Save Topic
Life in Moraira

We are coming over to Moraira in February with a view to maybe moving there within a couple of years, While we are out there we would like to know where we can meet up with any locals to give us an idea of what life is like in Moraira . We are in our late forties, young at heart and very sociable. Our main pastime is sailing but we realise that this is expensive in Moraira

moraira
Destination Expert
for Moraira
Level Contributor
1,624 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Life in Moraira

Hi

Again it really depends on what you want to do??

I'm sure you will ge lots of advice from different people.

My suggestion would be to rent somewhere first to see if you like it. On the sailing aspect I know nothing about that but can put you in touch with somebody that does.

Do you plan on working or retiring, you seem a bit young to retire but may be in the position to do so.

We see so many people come and go as their expectations are very high. Maybe arrange to meet a few people, there are plenty that will offer you advice. No doubt Ian will pop up soon, they have just moved out here.

Gail

Moraira, Spain
Level Contributor
288 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Life in Moraira

Cheers Gail!! Am I THAT predictable? :-):-):-)

Yes, we have just moved to Moraira after nearly two years of planning and after visiting for 15 years. We finally saw the villa we wanted last summer and got all the legals etc done by October.

I am in the fortunate position of being semi retired, but I can still work for our former company via the internet. I dont need to earn a living here in Spain as a result and for me, that is important. As Gail says, that is critical given the economic conditions in Spain. Moraira is a tourist area, but there is a thriving community here throughout the year. Tradesmen seem to find work but others may struggle and Moraira isn't the cheapest place in Spain to live.

However, it IS a great place to be and all the expats are extremely friendly and help each other. I wouldn't choose anywhere else to live.

Whatever you choose, be sure to do your homework and get the best advice you can afford. I am sure many on here would be happy to help.

Durham, United...
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Life in Moraira

Hi Gail and Ian

Thanks to you both for taking the time to reply.

That seems sound advice and renting a property would be our intention until we were certain of any future in Moraira. Ian your situation seems similar to ours regarding work.

We are an active couple that make the most of any given situation. Having said that we are ready for a slower more relaxed pace of life. We have various options open to us and although we wouldn't necessarily need to work we could live within our means depending on the cost of living. However we wouldn't rule out working altogether as it may have advantages and it would be great to earn a little extra for the occasional treat.

It would be great to hear from those that have settled into the way of life of Moraira and how it would compare to our plans. I'm not to sure how this might be achieved as I would prefer to meet in person and as we are not familiar with visiting Moraira out of season would there be anyone about to speak too.

I would be most grateful for any contacts regarding sailing as given the opportunity to sail would be the icing on the cake!

Anyway thanks again it's been great to hear from you both.

Neil and Meryl

moraira
Destination Expert
for Moraira
Level Contributor
1,624 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Life in Moraira

Hi

I am would be the best person to speak to, even though he has only just this week come out to live he is in a similar situation to you regards work.

We all work and work hard.

I can get you the number of a friend who has a boat and does licences etc.

On our way back from our hols so maybe speak soon.

Gail

moraira
Destination Expert
for Moraira
Level Contributor
1,624 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Life in Moraira

Hi. Sorry that should say Ian is the best person.

Durham, United...
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Life in Moraira

Hi Gail.

Thanks for the reply whilst on holiday! Ha ha I just thought that you were putting Ian in his place in the previous message.

I may of given the wrong impression as I'm no Jordon Belford (The wolf on Wall Street) more like his gardener and certainly not shy of work.

I sense that you could give us a touch of a reality check which I really appreciate and I hope you weren't offended with any of my remarks. One reason why I much prefer face to face contact.

We've both experienced working in a holiday resort (not what you may think) in the past and only know to well the difference between holiday and work.

I'm making my way through previous posts as this is all new to me and has some useful information.

Anyway I hope you've enjoyed your holiday and have a safe return journey.

Cheers

Neil

Moraira, Spain
Level Contributor
288 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Life in Moraira

Hi again Neil.

More than happy to share experiences if you are out this way. Maybe even meet up for lunch at Gail's restaurant and get the benefit of her wisdom.

Message me with any questions in the meantime. Happy to try and help.

Regards

Ian

Durham, United...
9 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Life in Moraira

Hi Ian,

That sounds great. We appreciate the gesture. We'll be there on the 14th Feb and can contact you nearer the time to meet up if convenient.

Really looking forward to coming over

Neil & Meryl

moraira
Destination Expert
for Moraira
Level Contributor
1,624 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Life in Moraira

Hi Neil, no of fence at all. Was writing on the motorway:-)

I meant Ian does work from home which sounds like you are able to as well. Lucky you.

We have a busy fish & chip shop/diner and is hard work but its family run so makes a little easier. Have some good staff as well.

When your over we should all meet up, Ian & Tracey as well, mind you we haven't got they're staying power:-(.

Hope to see you soon.

Gail

Durham, United...
9 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Life in Moraira

Thank you Gail that would be good if we could meet face to face to talk about it. As we said we are over from 14 Feb until 22 so we will contact you nearer the time. We are really looking forward to coming over again as we really enjoyed it last year.. Not sure about our staying power either but hey!

Take care

Meryl & Neil

Get answers to your questions about Moraira
More Moraira Topics