We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is Katelios Like ??

Surrey, England
Level Contributor
400 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
What is Katelios Like ??

Hi there,

We normally go to Lassi for our holidays but I was wondering what Katelios is like ??

Does it have as many bars and restaurants as Lassi or is it on a much smaller scale.... Is there another resort closeby that we could go as a change for an evening. We often go into Argostoli from Lassi.

Would be nice to see another resort in Kef but as Lassi is the biggest resort (and it's not that big) I am worried there wouldn't be enough there for us.

Happy Holidays !

Aylesbury, United...
Level Contributor
122 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is Katelios Like ??

We just got back from Katelios, it is very small, but beautiful. It has 2 minimarkets, and about 8 restaurants, more traditional than Lassi. Not too far away is Skala which is more like Lassi a hotel resort, we travelled all over kefalonia and wouldn't of stayed anywhere else, but we like a quiet life. it has a sandy beach, and nearby is Kaminia beach which is where the turtles lay their eggs, and is an amazing beach, hope that helps

staffordshire
Level Contributor
1,272 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is Katelios Like ??

scala is only 7km from Katelios. Katelios a lot of good tavernas on the beach and a few just outside the port area.

BEACHES NEAR BY ARE VERY GOOD Kamenia very sandy and the water very shallow for a long way out and it doesnt shelve off like some beaches. would rather stay in Katelios than Lassi. but thats my preference

Fleet, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is Katelios Like ??

We have previously stayed in Avithos, but last year 'discovered' Katelios after a days visit to Skala and have booked up for two weeks this August.

It is a small village with around 10 tavernas right by the beach leading up to a small marina. There are a few other tavernas dotted about as well. It has a very laid back and friendly atmosphere. You can hire a small motor boat from here and the beaches are nice and safe for children. We have hired a jeep for 10 days and I do think that you should look to hire a car (everywhere on the island is easy to get to). Skala is not very far away for a little more life and there is a water taxi service to take you there.

Obviously it is personal choice, but having visited Lassi on our first trip, I would much prefer Katelios.

Happy hols!

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
509 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is Katelios Like ??

So far this year the water taxi isn't running.

sheffield
Level Contributor
403 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is Katelios Like ??

We've just come back from Katelios and really enjoyed it. I've been to Lassi before but it was about 10 years ago but we did go for the day last week and compared to what I remembered, Lassi had changed a great deal with a lot of business closed down and replaced with others. Paths down to the sea now seemed really built up. The beach was a total madhouse with sun beds way too close together and we could not wait to get back to Katelios.

The middle part of Katelios beach is fine with firm sand, a small band of shingle as you get in the water then sandy and shallow for a good 50 metres before it gets deep enough to swim. Aghia Barbara beach (very close by) is lovely with sunbeds - no cantina but Dreams Bar/Taverna close by.

Katelios is much less developed but as Nannasuej points out, you are incredibly close to Scala which has the advantage over Lassi in that it is a traditional village with a proper church and village square. It also has ATMs which Katelios does not have. Katelios also has an excellent car rental place called Venus which gives good deals if you book in advance. Katelios only has about 4 bars though but I have to say we went to the Mythos apartments pool bar one night because they had an amazing jazz saxophonist last week and most of the hotels (eg Magnolia) welcome people in to their themed nights.

We loved Katelios and will definitely be going back but for a larger selection of bars then you're probably better off in Scala. Have a great time wherever you go !

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is Katelios Like ??

Hello, it has been many years since we visited this lovely place, please could we have a few recommendations taverna/bar wise with prices just for us to plan, thank you

Dorset
Level Contributor
39 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is Katelios Like ??

There are plenty of reviews of tavernas on Tripadvisor, we particularly liked Persas and Blu Sea. As for bar prices if you look at the Magnolia Resort they have a drinks menu which I think is more or less in line with general prices at other places.

staffordshire
Level Contributor
1,272 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What is Katelios Like ??

water taxi starting to run this week.

barnsley
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What is Katelios Like ??

katelios is a small village.the main area to stop is on the rd down to the beach I have just come back from the alkioni hotel and also I have stoped in the mythos hotel both are basic hotel with beautiful pools very clean and tidy.if yoy want more up market try the magnolia resort,the village its self is beautiful with about 10 bars that serve both food and drink that look out on to the sea and sand.the beach is only small but a 15 min walk around the headland gets you a beautiful sandy 2 mile long crystal clear beach with a few bars also dotted about,,,,its defo not scala for sure a lot more chilled out but at night yes lots of nice chat chat bars but none with loud disco blaring out music.....go for it its v nice

Edited: 24 July 2013, 18:39
Cephalonia, Greece
Level Contributor
664 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What is Katelios Like ??

Yes, as per my post on the Water Taxi thread, the water taxi is now running again.

Get answers to your questions about Katelios
Recent Conversations