We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transfers and supermarket

Which Katelios hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Blackpool
Level Contributor
49 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Transfers and supermarket

Hi all, we are looking to book a week in kefalonia at the beginning of August and Ketelios is one of our 2 options......it will be a rare child free week so we want to get it just right!

Please can you advise of best / cheapest airport transfer options, would it be taxi?

And would it be possible to call at one of the larger supermarkets en route from the airport (in Argostoli?) to stock up on wine?

Thanks in advance for your help, we can't wait to come to this beautiful island, Justine xx

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
9,295 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transfers and supermarket

Hi Justers,

There are nearly always plenty of taxis right outside the airport and no need to book. The cost is about 45 euros each way.

The only other way is to look at transfer companies where you share a minibus or coach but the fares are then per person and they won't stop at supermarkets for you!

The taxi driver will almost certainly drive past or near the supermarkets but will obviously charge extra for waiting. There are minimarkets that will see wine by the bottle or 2.5 litre plastic container in Katelios and a bigger range in Skala. Just note that the supermarkets will be a bit cheaper but they are foreign owned and the profits vanish out of Greece whereas the minimarkets are locally owned usually.

Have a great time

Bob

UK
Destination Expert
for Ayia Napa, Puerto Del Carmen, Skala, Cyprus, Protaras
Level Contributor
13,936 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transfers and supermarket

Hire a car.............it's very reasonable, easy island to drive around and you'll be grateful of the option so you can get out & about to other beaches and resorts :)

By the time you pay the return taxi fares you could have a car for the week and the drive is very simple from the airport................see this post that Bob & I responded to today in the main forum. It will also help you out re: supermarkets.

tripadvisor.co.uk/…55597917

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
9,295 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transfers and supermarket

For car hire have a look at these companies:-

www.pefanis-carhire.com/en/bookings/index

greekstones-rentacar.com/english/company.htm

http://venusrental.gr/newen/#!/home

http://www.cbr-rentacar.com/index.html

cefaloniarentacar.com/index-english.html

Bob

Blackpool
Level Contributor
49 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transfers and supermarket

Thank you all above comments (and the other thread!) have been really helpful. I've booked :-) Magnolia Resort in Katelios, so b&b as opposed to 'proper' self catering. Bob I totally agree and would much rather spend in local shops.......that said I am partial to a glass of something fizzy (cava or prossecco, can't afford champagne!) so thought I'd have more chance of grabbing a few bottles to enjoy on the balcony at large places like Lidl.

We have taken your advise and will rent a car, seems silly not to given the little difference. Venus seems to be very highly recommended but will check the others.

I will have a good look around the forum but just wondered if there are any 'hidden gems' worth driving out to for lunch that we may not otherwise hear about. I'm fancying a yellow boat (?) hire from Agia Effimia......do you know how far the drive is? This village was our other choice so I feel like I don't want to miss it. Think I fancy the idea of taking a boat somewhere and finding a quiet beach for a picnic.

With kids 8 & 6 I don't think we'll get another opportunity like this in years so want it to be perfect, but chilled!

Many thanks again

staffordshire
Level Contributor
1,151 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transfers and supermarket

can reccomend venus and he is very near Magnolia Resort . hire from airport as this will save a lot on taxi cost and you can call the supermarkets on your way in. Im sure you can hire a boat from Katelios. we love to drive up to St, Georges castle then relax in Kastro taverna for the afternoon.

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
9,295 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transfers and supermarket

Hi,

There are two boat hire companies in Agia Efimia. Yellow Boats and Boulevard Boats.

We regularly drive from Agia Efimia to Kaminia Beach (near Katelios) it takes us about an hour for the 45 km By the way this beach is so safe for children it is almost boring!!

As you will come in to the village from Sami then as you come into the village there is a lovely bakers just before a large minimarket and both could help with supplies for your trip. There are plenty of coves and small beaches if you head North.

Agia Sofia, one of those beaches is a pretty beach and had a café/bar that used to be open in the high season (I do not know if it is still operating).

Note that the hire costs do not include fuel

Note that Pefanis And Greekstones do not have any excess on their insurance so a bump costs you nothing providing you do not go "off road" One or two of the others are a bit vague about this. All companies will prefer cash as it avoids the % charged by credit card companies.

A couple of hidden gems:-

The ruined monastery of Sissi (down a track beyond its new replacement) is not far from Katelios. Head towards Argostoli and after joining the road to Poros it is down a road on your left after a couple of miles.

As you drive in to Peratata there is a left turn to Metaxata. Take this turn and take a right turn to some myceneum tombs Often closed but the fence around it is not complete!!

If you are still there on 16th August, St Gerasimo's day sees a big procession with his body through the village from the monastery. It takes quite a long time so not sure whether the little ones will like it.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerasimus_of_Kefalonia.

Bob

Blackpool
Level Contributor
49 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transfers and supermarket

Many many thanks! Sorry Bob, I haven't been clear. We are child free for the week........doubt we will have the opportunity again so want to make the most of grown up relaxation and picturesque bliss, as opposed to waterparks, fairgrounds and general mayhem.

This is very helpful.....I can't wait to come to kefalonia!!!

cornwall
Level Contributor
144 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transfers and supermarket

We stayed at the Magnolia last year and have booked a return trip for this, hope you enjoy it as much as we did. There is a small supermarket at the end of the lane to the Magnolia and it stocks a good range of drink and goods all reasonably priced we thought. There is a good fridge in the room, big enough for all your needs, and kettle and crockery but take your own tea or coffee. There is a excellent range of taverners to choose from all excellently priced and we had our cheapest holiday ever without feeling we needed to watch our budget, even came home with euros, first time ever Do see as much of the island as you can, it is beautiful and if you have young children you might have to wait for a return visit..

Wales
Level Contributor
234 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transfers and supermarket

Hi,

We bought the wine in the plastic bottle from the minimarket nearest the beach, it's is lovely and so cheap. Don't be afraid to try it :)

Sarah x

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
564 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transfers and supermarket

There is a local wine producer en route to Katelios, Metaxata or something similar. It is signposted after you turn off the main road to start heading down to Katelios. When we stopped in a few years ago the owner spent time telling us the story of the wine production. We bought 6 bottles of a lovely red called Arathusa Spring and drunk the lot over the next 2 weeks.

You would have to trace them on the internet to check opening times etc. , but it might be worth it.

Get answers to your questions about Katelios
Recent Conversations