We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prescribed Codeine

Which Katelios hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Richmond, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Prescribed Codeine

I am prescribed 240mg Codeine Phosphate daily and cant find clear facts on travel to katelios from the UK. Hope to book flight for 3weeks time but need to know law on taking Codeine with me. Please Help. judi

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
9,888 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prescribed Codeine

Hi Tinchy,

As long as you take your prescription with you, you will have no trouble.

In practice you are very unlikely to be stopped by Greek customs. I have to take regular tablets and have never been stopped and had baggage checked. This is travelling to Kefalonia with the pills, sometimes two or three times a year over the past 5 years.

Go ahead and book!

Bob

Richmond, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prescribed Codeine

Thanks Bob, I am worried as I am a female with tatoo's & have been stopped many times in UK because of my look. Im older now but still have the tatoo's. Don't want to risk breaking local laws. Can a local doctor/pharmacy prescribe for me? I can take a spare unfilled prescription & letter from my doctor with me. Regards Tinchy

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
9,888 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prescribed Codeine

Hi again Tinchy,

I very much doubt that you can actually get Codeine in Greece as it is considered a narcotic.

This link is advice from The Australian Embassy in Athens

greece.embassy.gov.au/athn/medication.html

Here is a link to a previous similar question on tripAdvisor

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g189398-i192-k25…

Bob

Richmond, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prescribed Codeine

Thanks for your time Bob. will try the links & report back. Iv'e been on several sites but not got a precice answer & no factsl back from Brit Embassy Greece yet . Nothing seems to be written in stone. Will post any concrete results to help other travellers IF I get any. Bye for now. Tinchy (Judi)

Cheshire
Level Contributor
194 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Prescribed Codeine

I sent email once to the Greek embassy it was 3 weeks before I had a reply, some things take time.

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
9,888 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Prescribed Codeine

Watcha again,

Greek tourist office in London link here with phone number etc. Perhaps they can help!

www.gtp.gr/TDirectoryDetails.asp?ID=4751

Bob

Cephalonia, Greece
Level Contributor
664 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Prescribed Codeine

The only way you can legally get codeine in Greece is on prescription from a doctor. So carry your British prescription with you to prove that you are legally entitled to it, and I'm sure it will be fine for you to bring it into the country for your own use.

Edited: 20 May 2014, 15:45
Cheshire
Level Contributor
194 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Prescribed Codeine

The closest chemist will be in Skala 7km away. It can be found at the top of there high street up the hill on the left, there is also a Doctor in the same building.

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
503 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Prescribed Codeine

From what I have been told in the past, you should keep medication in it's original packaging which if our chemist is anything to go by, will have your name on it.

I have never ever seen anybody being stopped & their luggage searched on arrival in Kef.

cheshire
Level Contributor
129 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Prescribed Codeine

Some information on here http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/2593.aspx

Get answers to your questions about Katelios
Recent Conversations