We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water taxi

Which Katelios hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mold
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
Water taxi

First trip to Katelois, Staying in the Magnolia at the end of the month.

Would like to know more about the water taxis.

Also i have been told if you turn left when you arrive at the beach you can walk along and over a track and you will come to another beach would also like to hear more about that.

Should i take a torch for walking back to hotel at night??

Is it worth hiring a motor boat?

Local markets on the island

Cost of meals and drinks

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
9,493 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Water taxi

Hi Steve,

Markets are very thin on the ground on Kefalonia. There is one really good one in Argostoli and many regular visitors combine this with a walk past the market along the harbour in the morning to see the giant turtles amongst the fishing boats.

In the evening my wife has a cola and I have a beer, we each have a starter and main course with a half litre of house wine between us (I drink most of it!). We often get given a free small dessert and the bill usually comes to 30-35€ before tip. We do generally eat Greek food from the specials board. Steak etc. is dearer.

I think the beach you are referring to is Kaminia beach. It is a very safe beach where you can walk out for about 50 metres and still be only knee deep in sea. There is a small café/bar and also just beyond the café/bar an open air free museum about the roof tiles that used to be there.

Beyond this beach is Mounda Beach where most of the loggerhead turtles come to lay there eggs. Torches are not welcome here! See link and "information for tourists"

http://www.kateliosgroup.org/kefturtles.htm

I will leave local details concerning this years timetable for water taxi and how good is boat hire and all the other local info to those who stay there and in nearby Skala.

Have a great holiday

Bob

Bedfordshire...
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Water taxi

Just got back from a week in Katelios. Lovely village, sea front and restaurants. Regarding water taxi to Skala, my advice is do not use it. We used it to go to Skala, was surpised that on arrival at Skala there is no jetty and it just gets as close as it can on the beach and then we all had to jump off, one person slipped and was soaked, probably for the day. On return the taxi didn't turn up and we were brought back to Katelios in a pick up, my own thought is that as there were only 4 of us it was uneconomical to send the taxi. The excuse given was that it was too windy, absolute nonsense as when we arrived back at Katelios it was still out at sea with other people.

staffordshire
Level Contributor
1,163 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Water taxi

there are 2 water taxis in katelios if you look on the goinggreek.info site they have all information.

Northants
Level Contributor
42 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Water taxi

Hi Steve,

As Bob has advised, the beach to which you are referring is Kaminia and there is indeed a track from Katelios beach across the rocks to it. We have walked it both ways and whilst it can be a little tricky (and thorny) in places, it is certainly worth the effort. Keep an eye out for the "blue ties" amongst the vegetation, these will offer some guidance as to the route.

Happy holidays

Argostolion, Greece
Level Contributor
5 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Water taxi

The Water Taxi referred to above is no longer operating. The one that has been doing the service for years is still operating. Katelios and Poros have a jetty, but in Skala you will be helped down a ladder onto the beach. No question of getting wet! A timetable board is displayed at the access points, but basically 3 trips in each direction each day.

There is a lit footpath from the sea front most of the way to Magnolia, but a torch is always handy.

Yiannis on the sea front does motor boat hire.

Mold
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Water taxi

Many thanks all

Mold
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Water taxi

Many thanks all

Frimley, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Water taxi

Just got back from 2 weeks in Katelios; the water taxi is very much running. We used it to get to Skala (the "big city" after a few days in Katelios!) and it is fun, fast and efficient. You do need to disembark via a ladder in Skala, but if you can climb one to change a light bulb this should not present a problem to you.

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
83 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Water taxi

When snorkelling in Katelios, keep your eyes open for the water taxi. If you're on the outer side of the little harbour you do risk the waves after the boat has gone by but stick your hand in the air and he will slow down when he sees you!

My first year snorkelling and I got the fright of my life when I looked up and saw it coming straight at me. lol

10. Re: Water taxi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 August 2015, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Katelios
Recent Conversations