We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

loggerhead turtle

swindon
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
loggerhead turtle

we looked for the 56 yr old loggerhead turtle that apparently swims near the fishermens boats in Katelios. We didn't see him , but were told that he has his own facebook page. Does anyone know anything about this and how we can find any info on Facebook please?

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,433 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: loggerhead turtle

Hi,

His name is Adonis I think!

https:/…

Hope this helps

Bob

UK
Destination Expert
for Ayia Napa, Puerto Del Carmen, Skala, Cyprus, Protaras
Level Contributor
14,013 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: loggerhead turtle

We were lucky to see him twice in July...............thanks to Martyn coaxing him to come to the surface :)

Cephalonia, Greece
Level Contributor
664 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: loggerhead turtle

He's called Adonis and he's reputed to be around 35 years old according to a lady from Wildlife Sense in Kefalonia. A local resident Martyn has been helping Adonis a lot when he gets entangled in fishing line and fish hooks, as happens quite regularly, sadly. I've seen Adonis often and swum near him, I've been so fortunate that he has come up to me to say hello, but can I please put out a plea here on Trip Advisor …… by all means go and look for him from the harbour side or from the little jetty but PLEASE don't go into the water to try to touch him or play with him. He's a wild turtle, easily frightened by those he doesn't know, and must be left in peace as otherwise he will be frightened away from the area. If you would like to see some wonderful photos of Adonis, Martyn who has helped him on many occasions has created a Facebook page called Adonis The Loggerhead Turtle. Adonis knows and trusts Martyn, but he is wary of other people, so please do not scare him away. All of us in the Katelios area love our Adonis and want to protect him.

Thank you so much for your understanding!

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,433 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: loggerhead turtle

Hi folks,

The link in my post is to his facebook page

Bob

swindon
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: loggerhead turtle

thankyou

Cephalonia, Greece
Level Contributor
664 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: loggerhead turtle

Sorry Bob - didn't realise your link was to the Adonis Facebook page - it doesn't show up in full on this web page, only as https://.. and I admit I didn't click on it! Apologies.

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,433 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: loggerhead turtle

No problem!!

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
105 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: loggerhead turtle

Adonis The Loggerhead Turtle ...

that's the page you are looking for.

Enjoy ... Martyn Green, who looks after this (not so little) guy has taken some amazing photo's and videos of him.

UK
Destination Expert
for Ayia Napa, Puerto Del Carmen, Skala, Cyprus, Protaras
Level Contributor
14,013 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: loggerhead turtle

As stated the link to the page is at post 1 by Bob............

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
105 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: loggerhead turtle

There's not a full link, or am a blind?

Get answers to your questions about Katelios
Recent Conversations