We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there a more tranqual spot on the Lincolnshire coast?

Shropshire
Level Contributor
543 posts
137 reviews
Save Topic
Is there a more tranqual spot on the Lincolnshire coast?

I just love Sutton-On-Sea, nothing compares to it along the East coast, until you get down to Southwold (in my eyes anyway).

I've posted this because the forum has never been used before and this lovely little village should be visited: but by too many people, or it'll spoil it!

<*))))))><

20 replies to this topic
Lincoln, United...
Destination Expert
for Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there a more tranqual spot on the Lincolnshire coast?

I agree with you. if ever we go to the Lincolnshire coast its Sutton-on-Sea or Gibraltar Point. Gibraltar Point is even more tranquil, but there's a long walk involved and no amenities when you get there; you have to be self sufficient.

Shropshire
Level Contributor
543 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there a more tranqual spot on the Lincolnshire coast?

The good thing about going to Gibraltar Point is the fact you've got to drive past (or into the car park of) The Vine Hotel. Sutton-On-Sea and The Bacchus Hotel can't compete with that (I love well kept Batemans Ales).

<*))))))><

LINCOLNSHIRE ENGLAND
Level Contributor
114 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is there a more tranqual spot on the Lincolnshire coast?

I used to spend all my holidays in Sutton -on-Sea when I was a child (between 1965 and 1980) so have a real soft spot for the place. Visited again last Saturday evening and was a little dissapointed. The town seemed a little run down and in need of some TLC (weeds growing between the shops etc). We always used to go in the Corner House Cafe and it was always very clean with good food - is it the same now?. I loved spending my holidays in Sutton playing on the beach - the summers always seemed hot back then!. We used to own a beach hut on the front and cook shrimps on the stove for supper - simple pleasures!. Also visited Gibralter Point the other weekend and had a good walk around the reserve - they have a good coffee shop there now where they provide binnoculars for you to look at the birds while you are enjoying your drink - a good idea on a cold windy day!

Shropshire
Level Contributor
543 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is there a more tranqual spot on the Lincolnshire coast?

I was schoolboy there (Sutton-on-Sea) until 1963, I love going back whenever I can. Not been for a couple of years now for some reason, must make the effort and revisit soonest. Loads of happy memories, when I had no cares in the world.

<*))))))><

LINCOLNSHIRE ENGLAND
Level Contributor
114 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is there a more tranqual spot on the Lincolnshire coast?

Oh - to be young and carefree again!. Another quiet spot on the Lincolnshire coast is Mogs Eye - on the coast road between Sutton and Skegness. You can park your car overlooking the beach and watch the sea - very tranquil. Then of course there is Sandilands. If you were feeling adventurous you could walk there from Sutton and revive yourself with a drink at the Grange and Links Hotel - don't know if it is a Batemans pub though!

What a pity more people do not contribute to this forum. Lincolnshire is such a large and diverse county but this forum is so quiet. I will have to think up some questions to ask!

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
9,200 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is there a more tranqual spot on the Lincolnshire coast?

I have one very strong memory of Sutton on Sea going back many years.

I always made a rule in our houshold that we would go out for the day on boxing day to work off the overeating , drinking and general lazyness of Christmas Day.

For several years we went to Matlock Bath and had a day in the Peak District.

But one year the family revolted and decided they wanted to go somewhere else and the seaside was suggested.

Living at that time near Nottingham we decided to try Sutton on Sea.

A couple of hours found us parking the car in the town and then we went down to the beach.

What a disaster !!!

A howling gale swept across the beach. The freezing air came straight from the Steppes of Siberian Russia.

My two young girls stood pathetically on the arctic beach . Their little teeth chattered and their knees knocked together and they cried and begged to go back home.

But I was strong minded and remained resolute,

No I said " we have come all this way so we will stay and damned well enjoy it"

I relented after about five minutes and after having some nice fish and chips we went home never to return to the seaside at Christmas.

I think I will return soon but only in summer.

Graham

LINCOLNSHIRE ENGLAND
Level Contributor
114 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is there a more tranqual spot on the Lincolnshire coast?

Know what you mean. I was subjected to some Boxing Day trips as a child and it was tradition to have turkey sandwiches on the beach - whatever the weather!. These days a quick call to child line would be in order!. Save your trip for the good weather (if we ever get any).

Shropshire
Level Contributor
543 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is there a more tranqual spot on the Lincolnshire coast?

I'm going back in November, just for a walk on the beach before driving up to Grimsby for a footie match (if you can call watching Grimsby Town footie).

Looking forward to it more than the football game actually!

<*))))))><

Sandilands
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Is there a more tranqual spot on the Lincolnshire coast?

I had never spent any time on the Lincolnshire coast but my wife had fond memories of childhood holidays in Mablethorpe and Sutton on sea. 10 year ago we went looking for a weekend retreat, Norfolk was our first choice but we could find nothing to suit our budget so we moved our search to Lincolnshire and found the wonderful village of Sandilands and immediately fell in love with the area and a bonus was the property prices were so much more reasonable than Norfolk. Bearing in mind we were looking for a weekend retreat we finished up buying a 5 bedroom house, selling our home in Stamford and moved to Sandilands lock stock and barrel and never regretted it for a minute. We now run our home as Sunnycroft Bed & Breakfast and I can’t imagine living anywhere else. Many of our guests return year after year and all seem to enjoy the peace and quiet and community spirit of the area. Check out the official Sutton on sea web site and you’ll be amazed at what the area has to offer.

yorkshire
Level Contributor
663 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is there a more tranqual spot on the Lincolnshire coast?

Always have a walk down seafront from Mabo to Sutton, nice meals in the club

Reply to: Is there a more tranqual spot on the Lincolnshire coast?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sutton-on-Sea