We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Not Just Tourists cases left with resort doctor?

snowcountry
Level Contributor
198 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Not Just Tourists cases left with resort doctor?

Just read a review for Sol Cayo Largo in which the tourist stated they left their medical donations with the resort doctor. These cases are meant for the cuban population and not for resort use. I recall the paperwork stating this very clearly and those bringing this aid are required to make efforts to bring the cases to nearby or, if possible, far away clinics and hospitals to ensure that these much needed medical donations get to the people who most need it. Not being critical but effort is required in bringing these items to cubans and leaving it at the resort is simply not the intention of Not Just Tourists medical aid. If you wish to bring these cases it is imperative that you realize that you will need to go off resort to make it beneficial...

Mentioned in this post
Sol Cayo Largo
Sol Cayo Largo
4,687 Reviews
Cuba
Grimsby, Canada
Level Contributor
2,238 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Not Just Tourists cases left with resort doctor?

Very good thread and important that people realize this.

I was under the impression that some resort doctors are willing to help and will make sure these suitcases get to clinics...Yes? No?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Not Just Tourists cases left with resort doctor?

Thank you for your attention to this. I am the one who left the bags and did so with the assurance that the supplies would go to the clinic. I can't imagine that disposable catheters would be used at a tourist resort. As you may know, Cayo Largo is a resort only island. Workers are there for 20 days and then transported back home for 10. Any medical donations will be directed to the clinic in the workers village and then sent to the mainland. The physician filled in the paperwork with his credentials and it was clear to us that he would responsibly pass on the materials. Although this is generally not how the donations are delivered, NJT was satisfied that we had followed protocol, even if on a parallel line to what might happen elsewhere in Cuba.

Victoria, BC
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Not Just Tourists cases left with resort doctor?

piratepirate - thank you for taking the time to post your review.

And a big thank you for going to the effort of taking down a NJT suitcase.

No matter where you left it, just know that someone will benefit from the supplies you left in some way.

The CL resort workers are part of the "Cuban population" are they not, since they don't actually live on the island.

snowcountry
Level Contributor
198 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Not Just Tourists cases left with resort doctor?

Thanks for the clarification. Just didn't want folks reading this to make the assumption that it was appropriate to leave aid for use by tourists in mainland resorts. Island resorts are indeed a different case all together...and knowing that the aid will go to the resort workers rather than the resort tourists is good to know.

Grimsby, Canada
Level Contributor
2,238 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Not Just Tourists cases left with resort doctor?

I think NJT would be very upset if they thought the aid was going to tourists.

We delivered our suitcase to a little clinic, and learned later that the clinic was no longer accepting donations because of black market issues (not sure what those issues were...just heard rumors).

I think it's important that you make sure the suitcase is put in the right hands so that the black market is a non-issue and the supplies get to those who really need it.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Not Just Tourists cases left with resort doctor?

It's good to hear from dedicated people like yourselves. We did feel very comfortable leaving the bags with the physician and had confidence that the contents would be taken to the clinic. I had also taken second hand scrub shirts as well as hand sanitizers, disposable gloves and baby bottles. These we handed over on another day, and made the distinction that the items were all for the clinic, but the scrubs were for him. He again assured us that he would be reliable and responsible. Now, if only we could get out the flip flops instead of the winter boots, I'd be smiling today!

Grimsby, Canada
Level Contributor
2,238 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Not Just Tourists cases left with resort doctor?

piratepirate,

I hear you about the winter boots! lol

Since posting of the Cuba forum, I've noticed that there are many people who find it's very important, not just to go on a vacation but also to bring supplies over. They are very generous and I think it's wonderful! :)

Whitby, Canada
Level Contributor
250 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Not Just Tourists cases left with resort doctor?

what a wonderful donation!

where do i go to find out about taking a case with me next week? what do i need in it? is it counted as weight with my packed luggage and carry on(traveling out of Montreal with Cubana airlines....very little allowed for weight)

please let me know how i may help as well!!!...('',)...

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Not Just Tourists cases left with resort doctor?

I just revisited this forum and I'm glad to read of your interest. Just google Not Just Tourists and you'll get contact information.

Port Colborne...
Level Contributor
3,636 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Not Just Tourists cases left with resort doctor?

NOT JUST TOURIST has recently stopped sending cases to CUBA as the customs were either taking and keeping them or giving the people who had them hours of problems. There is a thread that has been posted around September 15th or there abouts that NOT JUST TOURIST announced this. NO CASES are be given for travel to Cuba. Not Just Tourist is in the process of working with the Cuban Government to get cases back into the country and until things are worked out nothing is getting into Cuba.

Get answers to your questions about Cayo Largo