We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dolphins!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
64 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Dolphins!

Great news! It's now possible to swim with dolphins at Playa Sirena! They put them next to the restaurant. They have quite a big area to swim..

It's great though of course I'm sure we'd all prefer to see them free... But hey..

If your dream is having a dive with them it's just another reason for this to be your favourite beach! (and now I really need to plan my next trip! Can't wait to swim with dolphins!!)

I saw some pictures today and I was so jealous! If you are getting there, you can't miss this!

However, I hope dolphins will be set free at some point. And hope both tourists and locals will be nice with them.

ciao

c

Victoria, BC
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Dolphins!

I personally don't think this is 'great news' but to each their own. Where did you see the photos of this? I would like to check it out myself.

CL, to me, is a destination for natural beauty and is a "tourist attraction" in it's natural state.

For me, I am saddened by this news. Cayo Largo is all about freedom - for both humans and animals.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
64 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Dolphins!

Hi Shirley,

pics are of a friend of mine who works there. I spoke with him yesterday.

not sure he wants to share pics publicly..

With regards to freedom and Cuba, I would not start from dolphins when it comes to freedom. Tho I love them, of course.

But unfortunately, this is not the right place to talk about this, nor I have any power in that sense :(

I am sure whomever has friends or familiars there feels the same about this.

Take care,

c

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
64 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Dolphins!

Just got more news about this - after speaking with a friend who works at Playa Sirena (how hard comparing that workplace with mine!!).

The price for swimming with dolphins is 90 CUC (!!)

Victoria, BC
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Dolphins!

Ah yes, "freedom" = poor choice of words when talking about Cuba. So sorry. :(

Edited: 25 February 2010, 15:31
Victoria, BC
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Dolphins!

There are pictures posted on another forum www.caylargo.net for anyone to see. Sad, but true , looks like it's going ahead with the dolphin swim.

Toronto
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Dolphins!

Swimming with captive dolphins only promotes the capture and killing of wild dolphins. Not to mention that they become very stressed with having to perform for humans and being kept prisoners ..... their swim area may seem large to us; but to the dolphins it is a very small area.

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
8,724 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dolphins!

I met the larger, male, dolphin last week.

He and his companion live in a natural cove along a shore with a net and fence blocking access to the marina bay. The water is clean and clear and deep at one end and side. We were waiting for the shuttle train and walked over to the cove beach, saw the dolphins at the far end by a wharf and called to them by slapping the water. The big guy came over right away and looked us over, rolled a few times and appeared to be waiting to be fed. Not having fresh fish in our pockets, he stayed a minute then went back to the wharf. I suppose where we had our feet in the water with the dolphin we owe the operators a few pesos, but what the heck, no one came to ask.

I don't like dolphin shows or any other penned animal shows but these dolphins at least had a big, clean area .... and pink Canadians to amuse themselves with.

Without excusing the Sirena operation, this is a far cry from the dirty pens in Varadero or the steel, open water cages in Cardenas Bay.

Judge for yourselves.

Toronto
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Dolphins!

Yes, this area is better for these dolphins than many other dolphinariums...but I am sure they would prefer to be back in the wild from where they were taken...back with their pod.

JR2
Ontario
Level Contributor
545 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dolphins!

I have no idea what the thrill is to swim with dolphins.!?

Maybe we should have a pen where we keep the humans locked up and allow the dolphins to swim with humans.

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
8,724 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dolphins!

We'd never get 90CUCs for that.