We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gran Caribe Cayo Largo (Villa Coral or Soledad)

Toronto
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Gran Caribe Cayo Largo (Villa Coral or Soledad)

There seems to be very little info on this hotel. Can anybody share some detailed insights on the following:

1. Food - quality and selection?

2. Drinks, wine and beer?

3. Restaurant and bar hours?

4. Beach towels?

5. In-room safe?

6. Mosquitoes?

7. Bottled water in room?

Many thanks!

Alberta
Level Contributor
4,539 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gran Caribe Cayo Largo (Villa Coral or Soledad)

The following link may help you a bit. Like yourself I am curious about this place too. The beach will probably be amazing and yes you can expect to see and maybe feel mosquitoes. Please keep us posted as to what you find out.

http://cayolargo.net/index.html

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
956 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gran Caribe Cayo Largo (Villa Coral or Soledad)

1- Food - not alot of selection but I was happy with the selections they had.

2 - Yes to both

3 - breakfast 7:30 - 10:00 - lunch 1:00 - 3:00 , 3:00-4:00 were told there were sandwiches but never had them. 4:00-5:00 pizza (great thin crusted)

dinner 7:30 -??

Bar - ?? 10:00 to 1:00 maybe?

4- Beach towels -yes. Nice big heavy towels from the old Barcelo chain. Can exchange only from 8:00 - 12:00 - that's the time the booth by the buffet is opened but the animation people are great & I did see them exchange the odd time in off hours.

5. Yes - free

6. not a problem. only 1 night when i went to the alacarte at the ranchon around 7:45 I experienced a few .

7. 1 bottle upon arrival but not replaced. You can refill at the bar.

I actual beach at the hotel I would not call amazing although the island has amazing beaches.

Edited: 17 April 2010, 18:53
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
956 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gran Caribe Cayo Largo (Villa Coral or Soledad)

5. You open the safe with your room key.

Alberta
Level Contributor
4,539 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gran Caribe Cayo Largo (Villa Coral or Soledad)

lesab

Thank-you for your post. I have only been to Playa Blanca and I love it there however, am curious about GCCL as they do offer good deals from time to time. You mentioned the beach was not amazing? I am a total beach freak and the beach is first and foremost the reason for us going on a Vacation, can you share more please; also were there many people "Au-natural" on the beach?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
956 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gran Caribe Cayo Largo (Villa Coral or Soledad)

The beach near GCCL has rocky section. I shouldnt' say it's not amazing. It's just that Playa Sirenas & Paraiso's and other sections are SO amazing that I guess I just find it less amazing...LOL.. .make sense.

I really can't comment on the "au-natural" for GCCL -I didn't spend alot of time near the hotel on the beach but I didn't notice "many" - perhaps with my second trip to Cayo Largo I'm just more tolerate.

Alberta
Level Contributor
4,539 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gran Caribe Cayo Largo (Villa Coral or Soledad)

If it is really rocky on the beach and I have to wear water shoes in the Ocean then to me it is not a great beach (we don't snorkel). I really loved the beach at Playa Blanca, did not get around to going to the two popular beaches; hope to go with Hubby. Found the prices to GCCL really good but did not want to take the risk for our 30 yr Anniversary.

Mont Tremblant...
Destination Expert
for Cayo Largo
Level Contributor
6,229 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gran Caribe Cayo Largo (Villa Coral or Soledad)

For a 30th anniversary, I wouldn't recommend the Gran Caribe either! But for a budget destination, it is a very viable option!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
956 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gran Caribe Cayo Largo (Villa Coral or Soledad)

I second that. GCCL price was great with no single supplement. I would of chosen Playa Blanca if it were not $300 more...

Toronto
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Gran Caribe Cayo Largo (Villa Coral or Soledad)

Thanks for all the information. It looks like we'll be spending quite a bit of time at Playa Sirena and Paraiso. Do you happen to know what are the prices and selection regarding food and drinks at Playa Sirena and Paraiso? I know lobster/shrimp can be purchased for $20 at Playa Sirena - but do they offer anything else? And how much do they charge for the drinks?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
956 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gran Caribe Cayo Largo (Villa Coral or Soledad)

I had Shrimps at Playa Sireana $13 CUC ..they also have chicken & pork but not sure of the prices. My friend had the $20 CUC lobster which she enjoyed. It was quite large.

Playa Paraiso has lobster also for $15 CUC - never saw it. They also make sandwiches - $2 or $2.50 CUC for chicken with some fries. I had the beef since they were out of chicken and it was great - fried garlic & onions with some kind of marinated veggies on top. I enjoyed it. They also have hto dogs & ham & cheese - I beleive may be $2 CUC's.. not sure.

You can get it right at the bar. Really nice guys working there. I

Edited: 18 April 2010, 16:45