We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

always a great vacation but please turn down the volume

hudson qc
Level Contributor
106 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
always a great vacation but please turn down the volume

We go to Cuba twice a year, normally Dec. and April. We always love the people and the facilities. Sleep in a bit, great omelette for breakfast, walk on the beach, snorkel, bit of lunch, maybe another adventurous walk, bit of siesta, go by the pool for a happy hour drink and then BANG. The music is cranked up to the highest volume possible. The animation team is trying to create the disco scene late in the afternoon when it is more relaxing time. This has happened at every resort that I have been to. My complaints fall on deaf (read high decibel rate) ears and I turn out to be the party pooper. I love Cuban music and love to dance but the high volume just turns me off. Am I alone?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,532 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: always a great vacation but please turn down the volume

i'm the fat guy with the hot wife pounding shooters and dancing my butt off!!!

North Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
1,726 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: always a great vacation but please turn down the volume

Not alone......that's why we love the beach ...only pounding is the surf...

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,674 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: always a great vacation but please turn down the volume

In Cuba it's a strictly enforced law that all sound systems are only allowed two settings: On, and Off.

1.) In the Off position the system is dormant, but wanting to be turned On as soon as possible.

2.) In the On position the sound is as high as the speakers can physical handle, then it's turned up a little more so there is some distortion.

Any Cuban who pretends there are volume controls on ANY Cuban sound system is immediately fired in disgrace and forced to cut sugar cane.

True story.

Cheers,

Terry

SW Ontario
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: always a great vacation but please turn down the volume

SWEET, Crank it up! I got the first round of drinks! And then, after the 'official' hotel disco is over, let's go to the 'unofficial' one down the way and crank it up even louder.

Ah, who I'm I kidding, I'll be sawin' logs by 8pm. nightly.

Cheers!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
3,246 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: always a great vacation but please turn down the volume

I'm with you cravenmore. I'm a jazz junkie and for me to have to listen to that "latino top 40 disco/ hiphop rubbish with the Boom Boom" is strain on the taste buds of my ears.

One hotel in Holguin had a dj who started at 9 am while everybody was either in bed or having their morning meal. Why he was sitting by the pool and blarin' the music all by myself had everybody in a conundrum. A gang of us went to the front desk and screamed "enough is enough" to the shock of the receptionist.

A funny story...... One time while on the bus to the airport near the end of our holiday, the driver put Celine Dion on the bus speakers and by the 3rd song most everyone on the bus was yelling at him to turn it off. When he did everybody started clapping. Surprising since most on the bus were from Quebec.

Another.....One time in a taxi in Havana the driver found out we were Canadian so he flips on the stereo and starts playing Bryan Adams. We told him to either put something else on or we are getting out without paying. He obliged!! Who wants to go on a holiday to listen to that crap.

Edited: 16 November 2010, 02:35
Middlesex
Level Contributor
999 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: always a great vacation but please turn down the volume

I always try and get a hotel with a couple of pools, then go for the quiet one, I can still hear the music, but not as bad if I am sitting right near it.

Sometimes if I feel in the mood I might go over to the noisy pool, but dont stay long lol.

The same happens to me CW, If we get a cab, somehow the cab driver knows your either English or Canadian and plays what he thinks is the appropiate music.

I love old 90s dance music, gawd knows how the cabby knew, but he just started playing the old stuff I liked, weird or what lol

Edited: 16 November 2010, 07:05
Penarth, United...
Level Contributor
1,320 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: always a great vacation but please turn down the volume

Try the Blau at Varadero - very peaceful. The music is fairly loud near to the speakers but for some reason the sound doesn't travel well and you don't have to be far away for it to sound like a whisper!

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
101,045 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: always a great vacation but please turn down the volume

Totally agree with you cravenmore. It's not everyone that wants to have music blasting out of the speakers in the afternoon period whilst the animacion staff are having their rest period. Peace and quiet please. Turn the music off.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,532 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: always a great vacation but please turn down the volume

this is why cayo largo is so awesome... a 30 minute walk down the beach and you're in a world of your own!

Mont Tremblant...
Destination Expert
for Cayo Largo
Level Contributor
6,304 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: always a great vacation but please turn down the volume

Even a 5 minute walk heading west from the Sol and you're pretty much on your own!

Asking a fan of Cayo Largo to go to Varadero (no matter how quiet the hotel!) is a bit like asking Robinson Crusoe to go to Miami's South Beach! A slight exaggeration, no doubt, but having been to Varadero, I can say that it couldn't be further from the all-around peace and quiet of CL, loud afternoon pool music notwithstanding!

Get answers to your questions about Cayo Largo