We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wi Fi anywhere on island?

ontario
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Wi Fi anywhere on island?

Does anyone know?, especiaqlly at Pelicano

Havana, Cuba
Level Contributor
5,355 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Wi Fi anywhere on island?

WiFi in several hotels and resorts,. although speed is still dial-up.

Here's a list that our friend Martian keeps updated:

HAVANA

1.) Hotel Chateau, Miramar.

2.) Melia Cohiba, Vedado.

3.) Melia Habana, Miramar.

4.)Montehabana, Miramar.

5.) NH Parque Central, Vieja.

6.) Panorama, Miramar.

7.) Saratoga, Vieja.

8.) Occidental Miramar, Miramar.

9.) Sevilla Hotel, Vieja.

10.) National, Vedado.

VARADERO

1.) Sandal Royal Hicacos

2.) Barcelo Solymar

3.) Iberostar Varadero

SANTIAGO

1.) Melia Santiago

GUARDALAVACA

1.) Paradisus Rio de Oro

TRINIDAD

1.) Grand Hotel

Mont Tremblant...
Destination Expert
for Cayo Largo
Level Contributor
6,298 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wi Fi anywhere on island?

Definitely no Wi Fi on CL. At the Pelicano, you can use computers in the reception area (when facing the reception desk, the computer room is to your right, near the entrance) - it's also the room where the switchboard operator is. Best time to go is early in the morning or late at night. I don't remember the price though, haven't used it in years.

The cell service is usually reliable though, so if you have a compatible phone, so depending on why you needed the Wi Fi, perhaps a data bundle would be a good alternative?

Edited: 19 March 2011, 13:06
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wi Fi anywhere on island?

data bundle for cuba is expensive and i am not sure how fast the data network in CL is... in havana it's ok... agree that there is no wifi in CL and all internet access is ssssssssssssllllllllllllooooooooooowwwwwwwwwww....

i never use it either... i send a few text messages from my phone if required.

Edited: 19 March 2011, 14:33
Ontario
Level Contributor
8,436 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wi Fi anywhere on island?

I don't find the internet bad in Cayo Largo......better than some other areas of Cuba. If you are just wanting to send an email or two every day or so, it is quite sufficient for that. Best strategy is to get a gmail account if you don't already have one, and configure it to basic HTML for fast page loads. I am on dial up at home, and don't notice a lot of difference.....

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
100,649 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wi Fi anywhere on island?

eeeefarm:

You do surprise me that you are only on dial up at home, that's probably why you do not notice the difference. For those of us on ADSL2+ super fast broadband the difference in speed is vast.

Ontario
Level Contributor
8,436 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wi Fi anywhere on island?

Oh, I know what high speed is, all right. I am in one of those "pockets" where there is no cable or DSL line available.....but I have a netbook with wifi and internet cafes in town, and I can also go to the library when I actually need the high speed capability.....usually for sending large files. That's how it is when you live out in the sticks. That and using the dog sled to get into town in the winter. ;-) Otherwise, it doesn't bother me. Gives me time to compose my thoughts, and besides, I usually have so many tabs open the next one I want has loaded before I am finished reading the previous one. :-)

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wi Fi anywhere on island?

Isn't the whole point of going to Cayo Largo to escape cell phones, emails, blackberrys, etc? It is for me anyway!

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
100,649 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wi Fi anywhere on island?

Some people do need to keep in contact with work or home. Not everyone can shut down for a week or two weeks.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wi Fi anywhere on island?

Personally I like calling people from the beach and let them listen to the waves...

Victoria, BC
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Wi Fi anywhere on island?

" Some people do need to keep in contact with work or home. Not everyone can shut down for a week or two weeks."

That's a shame, really. I'm glad I'm not one of those people.