We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gifts for th maids

Stanbridge East...
Level Contributor
52 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Gifts for th maids

What kind of gifts would the maids like or need ?

Vancouver
Level Contributor
5,614 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gifts for th maids

I think most people leave crayons... shampoo, nylons and a wind up flashlight. I suggest tipping in Pesos..that way they can buy what they need.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,632 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gifts for th maids

Relax. Tip your maids with money, same as anywhere else.

1,) Common sense about tipping:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g147270-c114818/Cub…

2.) A gigantic thread about tipping and gifting that by Page #14 and Post #139 gives you ALL the different opinions:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g44881-d91083-R…

3.) More great, common sense thoughts:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g147270-c129786/Cub…

Relax! Have fun on your vacation...

Cheers,

Terry

Port Colborne...
Level Contributor
3,603 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gifts for th maids

cash and cash

no dollar store stuff, just cash easier packing , and they have already been given probally every item from the dollar store ten times over.

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
97,962 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gifts for th maids

Save the space and weight in your luggage by just taking cash. If you tip in cash they can then buy whatever they like instead of lumbering them with stuff they don't really need.

Picton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,214 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Gifts for th maids

Flea and tick collars.

Mont Tremblant...
Destination Expert
for Cayo Largo
Level Contributor
6,253 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gifts for th maids

Cash is fine, and only if you are satisfied with the service, and that includes the "camarera".

I would suggest that you don't bother bringing anything else, unless you already know people there and you are aware of what they really need.

ontario
Level Contributor
169 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gifts for th maids

We leave cash, but I also bring (forgive the spelling) vitamins,polysporin, glucosimin. The availabilty of these items is very limited and very expensive.

Yoho National Park...
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Gifts for th maids

NataliefromQuebec >> We have been travelling to Cuba for many many years now, & in our travels we have found that there are things that Cubans cannot buy, there are things that Cubans have difficulty in buying, & there are things that Cubans cannot get since they are not available in their country. When we go to Cuba, whether staying at a resort, at a casa, or at a friends home (not a fren)...We do bring 'gifts' for people we have gotten to know. Things such as Tylenol, Sudafed, Vitamins, tarps, fishing lures/lines, female hygiene products, sports magazines for the men, Oprah & Good Housekeeping magazines for the ladies, as well as lots of Canadian chocolate. We also bring childrens items for families that we know have children. We also bring down guitar strings & give them out freely to the resort bands as well as the street bands. I do not support 'willynilly' gifting, nor do I support throwing stuff off a tour bus, but gifting to those Cubans whom you know, I do not see any problems with that whatsoever. We have been travelling to Cuba since the early 90's & have made many many trips to this beautiful island in the sun & I can not remember a trip where we did not bring gifts that are greatly appreciated by whomever you give them to. If we stay at a resort, at the end of our stay we CUC cash tip our maid, our bartender, our waitress & the gardener and anyone else that has been well deserving of a cash tip, as well as giving them a token of our appreciation for their services. I will also note that we do bring special gifts for the hardworking desk staff.

If one wants to gift...so be it

If one does not want to gift...so be it

If one wants to tip with CUC's only...so be it.

People will listen to what their heart tells them to do...

Hope this helps :-)

Edited: 02 April 2011, 13:20
Toronto
Level Contributor
662 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Gifts for th maids

I did promise myself not to respond to these threads, but the idea of workers on Cayo Largo in flea collars set me off...

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
8,852 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gifts for th maids

Natalie

I would take bandaid's and other first aid items to patch up any scrapes and cuts you may get IF you crash the scooters you plan to rent , if you don't use them perhaps you could leave those for your maid . LOL

I take a few special gifts for a few special friends I've made over the many years I've been going to the same area and leave CUC tips for those I find deserving of a tip.

LENNY