We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is your best memory from Cayo Largo?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,423 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
What is your best memory from Cayo Largo?

Thinking this could be a sticky thread (hint hint Shirley)...

I'll start:

On my first trip to Cayo Largo in 2006 my future wife and I stayed at the Sol Cayo... we did everything most first timers do, we hit the beaches, played in the waves and ate and drank too much...

We also went on the daytime catamaran trip... that day the ocean was calm... the calmest I have ever seen it... when we went to the natural pool it was FULL of star fish... i mean hundreds... we saw stingrays, dolphins (swimming beside our boat) and tons of kinds of fish...

Our captain was a special fellow who actually went free diving that afternoon to catch another dozen lobsters for a snack (2 lobsters meals in 1 day)...

That day was one of the most perfect in my life... nothing but a good time.

56 replies to this topic
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: What is your best memory from Cayo Largo?

I just got back from Cayo Gui. and it boils down to what kind of beach you like. Cayo G. is shallow and flat and Cayo Largo is wavy and windy. Also there is no nudity at Cayo G. I only went there because we had grandchildren 3 and 5 who enjoyed the shallow beach and the water was very warm. Staff, accom. food etc. all comparable.

Englehart, Canada
Level Contributor
170 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: What is your best memory from Cayo Largo?

Walking for miles on the white sand beach and the clear blue water. Nicest beach we have been to in Cuba.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: What is your best memory from Cayo Largo?

AC flight landed around Noon and I was on the Beach by 2PM. I could not believe the vast stretch of Nude Beach, which is why I went (nudist). Most of the people on the nude beach were from Quebec and Ontario. I seemed to be the only one from Alberta ! This spring, I want to go again, but have to watch for when AC shuts down the Flights to Cayo Largo. I heard it was April 17. Anybody know for sure? Also, I want to rent a Scooter or one of those Suzuki 'jeeps' they have for rent and tour some more of the secluded beaches .

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
8,117 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: What is your best memory from Cayo Largo?

ACV is shutting down on 27 March this year unless they change.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: What is your best memory from Cayo Largo?

Thanks for the Info. I will keep March 27 in mind

Mississauga Ont.
Level Contributor
32 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: What is your best memory from Cayo Largo?

Need help to pre pay for SCUBA Diving

it' s a much better deal than paying per dive

Thanx

Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: What is your best memory from Cayo Largo?

The people, and THE BEACHES. Never have I walked so far and not seen a soul, it is a great place to clear the mind and just enjoy the beauty of the ocean and all around you. Very low key!

ontario
Level Contributor
2 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: What is your best memory from Cayo Largo?

It involves 4 really good looking young adult women from Toronto and me. These good memories are not something fit to be written down here.

Sans Souci...
Level Contributor
323 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
49. Re: What is your best memory from Cayo Largo?

LOL... Best memory this year...first full day at SCL, hubby's sunglasses get ripped off his head twice by the "rogue waves" within the first hour or so. Fortunately, I was able to retrieve them the first time, only because when I saw them in the clear water and it was too deep for me to reach, I used my foot to secure them. Second time, it was just before noon, and he had been in the water on his own. Thinking he'd do the same as me, using his feet due to the sand being "stirred up" he couldnt see the bottom. After awhile.... Eureka! He felt his glasses and used his foot to grab ahold of them. It was only as he brought them up to his hands...that he could finally see through the crystal clear water ~ he wasn't holding his sunglasses... but a huge crab!

;-)

Williamstown, Canada
Level Contributor
131 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
50. Re: What is your best memory from Cayo Largo?

GalivantingGardener, that's a hilarious story I would've loved to see his reaction to that! LOL

Looking forward to going there in Jan. 2015 after reading all these wonderful memories :)

Edited: 13 September 2014, 11:12
Reply to: What is your best memory from Cayo Largo?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted