We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Who has been to Nueva Gerona and the surrounding area?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,423 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
Who has been to Nueva Gerona and the surrounding area?

Specifically interested in your impressions of the city and the areas around it... also interested to know if anyone went to the Southern beaches (if they are even accessible)...

Thinking about a January trip, flying in from Havana and staying in a Casa...

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
8,098 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Who has been to Nueva Gerona and the surrounding area?

Almost all your friends at Playa Blanca live there and would love to help.

Check out Facebook for some contacts or PM me for email addy's.

facebook.com/pages/…150796371001

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,423 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Who has been to Nueva Gerona and the surrounding area?

oh i have some info... just looking for tourist impressions...

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
8,098 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Who has been to Nueva Gerona and the surrounding area?

Edduar just did the tourist bit at the Colony on the west coast. Saw some great pics.

Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Who has been to Nueva Gerona and the surrounding area?

I've been there as a tourist and now MORE than a tourist! - I met a beautiful lady through friends I met In Cayo Largo and now there every 6th week!

Now the City itself is very old and some people would not find it that appealing. I Love it there but for different reasons now!

Calle 39 is the main street and where everyone goes to mingle and buy there goods. They have remodelled it and is very nice now. main mode of moving around is bycicle taxis but in the main square you will find auto taxis that will take you anywhere you want to go.

You have two beaches on the esat part of the island (Close to the city) - Black Beach (The only part of Cuba to have Black sand!) - Also close by is the Presdio Prison (Not used any more), Where Fidel Castro was kept back in 52 or 53. Great history visit.

South west of the City is the Colony Resort - Very Nice and the spot that most divers will go to! Much Spanish History in those parts of the sea.

Remember this island is the Island in Ernest Hemmingways book (This is the Treasure Island)

Like I say I go for another reason and now have a casa with my fiance and as of next year (Semi Retiring there)

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
8,098 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Who has been to Nueva Gerona and the surrounding area?

Hey Les B,

When you're lucky enough to live with your fiance in Nueva Gerona, you're lucky enough! (swiped from another wise person)

(Black Beach is named because of the volcanic lava that's ground down to black sand. Pretty hot on the tootsies, too)

Please give us a review of your Casa, unless you want to keep it for yourself.

6. Re: Who has been to Nueva Gerona and the surrounding area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2013, 10:17