We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Medical Insurance and credit cards ?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
48 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Medical Insurance and credit cards ?

I haven't been to Cuba since the requirement for proof of Medical Insurance has come into effect.

What sort of proof does one have to provide. My husband is covered for travel emergency medical by his credit card - BMO World Elite Mastercard

I want to know what he should bring.

Thx

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Medical Insurance and credit cards ?

He should bring a statement of your health inshurance company stating that the two of you are covered during your stay... flashing the CC will not help...

The health inshurance is seldom checked at immigration (only if you extend your visa) but if you want to exclude every risk get a statment

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jibacoa
Level Contributor
3,073 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Medical Insurance and credit cards ?

You can also show your OHIP card as proof.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,532 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Medical Insurance and credit cards ?

i have never been checked nor do i know anyone who has been...

that said, i think your credit card company can send you a statement of insurance and that'll do

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
4,441 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Medical Insurance and credit cards ?

zeno..,don't worry about it..,odds that you will be asked to show Insurance coverage will be very low,and if you are asked ,like traveller666 said,just bring/show your Provincial Health card,while it is pretty much useless if you have a medical problem,Cuba will accept it as proof of medical coverage.

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
14,867 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Medical Insurance and credit cards ?

Ditto to the above responses. Remember to take the direct dial telephone number of the insurance company in the unlikely event that you may need to contact them. Toll-free numbers do not work from Cuba.

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
11,480 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Medical Insurance and credit cards ?

The Group Health companies have been pretty good in providing "Cuba Letters" too. Provincial health cards are accepted.

The current wisdom is the Cubans just want Cuban-Americans and other US citizens to either show proof of coverage or buy the coverage from them for 3CUC or so per day. US insurers won't pay Cuban Hospital bills and the hospitals were getting stiffed.

At the same time, we'd have to be nuts not to have some coverage that pays to repatriate us via air-ambulance should we be seriously injured or ill.

Check with your provider to see if they'll do that for you.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
48 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Medical Insurance and credit cards ?

Thx for info - I think we are fine then

Bring OHIP cards and direct dial phone numbers of insurers (I would not necessarily have thought of that one but it makes sense).

Alberta
Level Contributor
4,924 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Medical Insurance and credit cards ?

Looks like your questions have been answered, we have never been asked either, but ya never know, so it is best to be prepared.

9. Re: Medical Insurance and credit cards ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 12:19
Get answers to your questions about Cayo Largo
Recent Conversations