We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Low season, no taxis to beach... strategies?

Toronto
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Low season, no taxis to beach... strategies?

Hi y'all, we are heading back to our fav Sol Cayo Largo in a few weeks for our seventh visit to heaven. Our dilemma is that we love to head out to Playa Sirena or Paraiso late afternoon around 3pm (magic time for photography) and meander back walking. In high season we have no problem as there are usually two or three taxis shuttling back and forth all day. In in low season, whole other story, go to lobby ask dispatcher to call taxi and wait... and wait... and wait. We have actually had the drivers pull up and see that its only two of us and then they lie and say they just have to make a quick run to the airport then they will be back. We have wasted up to an hr waiting. We have a few ideas we are going to try this time... anyone have this experience?

Sarnia, Ontario...
Level Contributor
1,926 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Low season, no taxis to beach... strategies?

When I first started going to Cuba, I used the following strategy for similar situations:

I always take a roll of scotch tape with me. If I approach someone (say the desk clerk) and ask her for a taxi and she orders one, I pull out a five dollar bill and say "this is for you for helping me." Then I slowly rip the bill in half. They go crazy. Then I keep one half for me and give the other to them and say, "I will tape it together (showing them the tape) when service is completed." Never once have I failed to receive asked for items. I was ripped off once by giving a fellow money for a lobster and he did not return. Has never happened again in 16 years and I do not even need to employ it again in my town.

Edited: 02 September 2013, 00:35
Consett, United...
Level Contributor
19,351 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Low season, no taxis to beach... strategies?

LOL. If it works for you.

It is not the way I would treat any fellow human but hey takes alsorts.

My opinion and mine only.

Sarnia, Ontario...
Level Contributor
1,926 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Low season, no taxis to beach... strategies?

It is a way of saying "Tengo la cara de boba?" Do I look like a fool?

When one is asked for payment of services up front (fixing a bike, getting stuff "under the table", etc), a Yuma is initially a sure mark, especially if one is of the female gender. The money is paid, the bike is never fixed (tomorrow), the fish never appears, etc.etc

When one is living in Cuba for a period of time, one cannot afford to shell out money and must become inventive. I only had to do it a few times initially and now suppliers know I cannot be ripped off.

Cubans freaking loved it and still talk and laugh about it with me., Sometimes they set up their friends to come and ask me to buy fish just to see their buddy's reaction when I do it.

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
7,754 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Low season, no taxis to beach... strategies?

Hardesign, If you let your front desk Porter know that you will pay for the 4-6 passengers the little mini vans hold, you will get your ride. The road to Sirena is so bad that many taxis won't make the run for 2CUCs. Offer 6. Still pretty darn cheap.

I did it by scooter in March and would never recommend it to anyone despite being a long time biker; It's a miserable washboard/swale/sandtrap run. Way worse than previous years.

Or use the bus from the Sol and the shuttle catamaran from the Marina. Cheap and fun.

Have a great trip ... Again!!

Edited: 04 September 2013, 00:19
Toronto
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Low season, no taxis to beach... strategies?

Thanks Spunky, had the same thought and will try it. Also thought of cornering the drivers when I see them and directly seeing if I can book them and negotiate time and price ahead of time. Seems there is usually only one beat-up van that does the beach run. The road was so bad last June the trains were not even running, we also heard one of the trains flipped and passengers were injured, yikes! Had to do the bus, boat, marina... but that was only an option in the morning.

Edited: 04 September 2013, 04:19
S
Destination Expert
for Cayo Guillermo
Level Contributor
7,463 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Low season, no taxis to beach... strategies?

Candisita, A good friend who looked after the food and beverages at the resort would joke with us , saying:

"No fula No Hamar"

And of course I would come back and say he had it all wrong. Should be ,

"No Hamar, No Fula"

Sarnia, Ontario...
Level Contributor
1,926 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Low season, no taxis to beach... strategies?

Jajajajajajaj, Deebob

8. Re: Low season, no taxis to beach... strategies?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2014, 06:24