We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Playa Blanca - Returned December 9th, any questions?

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
113 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Playa Blanca - Returned December 9th, any questions?

I just returned, had a fantastic time. I'll post a review when I get a chance but if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Quebec, Quebec...
Level Contributor
6 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Playa Blanca - Returned December 9th, any questions?

How is the beach? I hear that the beach in front is often unavailable, but I don't mind walking 10 minutes for beaches (I would rather not goto playa sineras or paraiso every day because I don't intend to spend whole days on the beach). Are those beaches to the right and left nudist beaches?

I'm going on the 22nd.

Edited: 10 December 2013, 20:40
Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
9,616 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Playa Blanca - Returned December 9th, any questions?

To the left of the old bar, that beach is pretty well vacant and that beach bar and lifeguard station aren't in use. The new CO section was about 50 Meters beyond the new beach bar (to the right) when we were there in April. There is a walkway to the new beach and a separate walkway to the main CO beach further down the road towards the old Capricho resort. The CO section was over 500M long and very wide then. Ask nicely and a golf cart may appear and get you there.

Further down, the old Capricho property is being incorporated into the brand new Iguana. No disruptions on the beach.

Have Fun!

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
113 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Playa Blanca - Returned December 9th, any questions?

There was a lot of beach the first few days, then the sea got rough and the clothing beach was only lounger deep to the bar. The bar is the divider between the textile beach and the CO beach. The CO continues then. The resort blocked access to the new cabins so that walkway further west is not used. The area west from Capricho to past the Eden village has many walkers in all states of undress. The sea got rough and I was speaking with someone who got caught in the undertow and saw his life flash, he wasn't far out at all.

Edited: 10 December 2013, 23:45
Ontario
Level Contributor
8,497 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Playa Blanca - Returned December 9th, any questions?

"I was speaking with someone who got caught in the undertow and saw his life flash, he wasn't far out at all."

It gets pretty good for body surfing when the waves are up, but you do have to be careful. You get those larger waves every so often, and you can really get slammed. It's also easy to end up further out than you planned! Unless you are unflappable, better to stay on shore. Panic is your worst enemy!

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
9,616 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Playa Blanca - Returned December 9th, any questions?

We've lost sunglasses and unmentionables in those super waves.

Coming from an ocean beach background, it's not a big deal but you have to know or ask others when the "Surfs Up" LOL

Smithville, Canada
Level Contributor
99 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Playa Blanca - Returned December 9th, any questions?

Just wondering about the waves and undertow on CL. We are heading to SP for our very first time in January. I had heard that the water can get rough, but this is the first I hear of the undertow,

Sounds like we will have to exercise caution while in the water? There is an 11 year old in our group.

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
113 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Playa Blanca - Returned December 9th, any questions?

Jazzm0nkey23: There is undertow and riptides so when there are waves be very careful. I went in to my knees and sometimes the waves came above my waist, a few times the undertow knocked me over. If there are little waves you will be safer. I walked from the Playa Blanca to the Sol Cayo Largo, the water was the same along the coast. The only differences were the other 2 beach areas of Sirena and Paraiso. Extreme caution goes for everyone when the waves are present.

Ontario
Level Contributor
8,497 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Playa Blanca - Returned December 9th, any questions?

It is usually rougher at Playa Blanca because it isn't sheltered there. Pelicano is in a bit of a bay. When you round the point where the Grand Caribe resort complex begins, generally the surf will be less.

Water receding from the beach, AKA undertow, can surprise people who aren't expecting it. Get to the surface and you will make progress back to the beach, unless you are caught in a current (riptide), in which case you need to swim across it until you get out of it. Fighting your way straight back in will only exhaust you, and is the mistake most people make. Jumping in the waves is fun, but it's also a good way to get hurt or worse.

Mont Tremblant...
Destination Expert
for Cayo Largo
Level Contributor
6,305 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Playa Blanca - Returned December 9th, any questions?

jazz - absolutely exercise caution, I've been thrown by a wave when I had water knee-high, I was sent tumbling backwards and fortunately escaped injury (but my son was very worried for a minute!). I wasn't paying attention and was looking at something on the beach... So unless the water is calm as a pond, caution is warranted at all times in front of the Pelicano. On our last visit, my son was 6 and a half, and he wore a life jacket while we were in the sea - and it was a good thing too, as he was sent tumbling a couple of times while floating on a wave. He was near shore and I was within arm's reach, and thankfully he wasn't hurt, but he did learn to respect the waves and he understands why I'm very cautious!

Smithville, Canada
Level Contributor
99 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Playa Blanca - Returned December 9th, any questions?

Thank you everyone for your very sage advice. I really had no idea and will share this will everyone travelling in our group.

Safety first!

Get answers to your questions about Cayo Largo