We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Llana (aka Yana) ancient tree

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,644 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
La Llana (aka Yana) ancient tree

Anybody know where this tree is? I've seen a few references and photos but don't have a clear idea where to find it. I assume any taxi driver should know where to go? Also, the most recent mention I've found is a couple of years old... Anybody know whether it's still standing?

Thessalon, Canada
Level Contributor
62 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: La Llana (aka Yana) ancient tree

In the village is the Cigar store, by the police station. There is a road to the left that takes you to Paradiso and Sirena beaches. This road goes on the right side of the airport. If you go that way, it takes you right past the tree. You can also get there by taking the other more travelled road to the beaches as well. If going by taxi, just ask the driver. Not too far from and just before Paradiso take a right and it is not too far in. It is quite unique. Either way gets you there. Enjoy.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,644 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: La Llana (aka Yana) ancient tree

Thanks Barn. From your description it sounds like it might be walkable from Paraiso. Near the intersection of the main road and the secondary one?

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
10,277 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: La Llana (aka Yana) ancient tree

It's about 5 Km from Paraiso. About 2.5 Km back to the intersection with the back road that runs behind the airport, then 4.5Km to the cigar shop.

Far closer as the crow flies (2.5Km) but we have to walk around the lagoon and swamp. LOL

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,644 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: La Llana (aka Yana) ancient tree

Thanks for the added info Spunky. I think I can almost pinpoint it on the satellite image. :)

10 KM is on the upper limit of walkable for me, especially since most of it would be on a backroad away from the beach. Will probably just take a cab, maybe make it a pit stop on the way to or from Paraiso...

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
10,277 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: La Llana (aka Yana) ancient tree

As a follow-up, two weeks ago I took a jeep from the pueblo along that back road to the old tree. I don't recommend that drive to anyone. The ditches and holes in the road are tidal and were very deep in many places. Where there were no "lakes", there was a rocky goat path in places and the only tracks were tractor/dozer treads.

It's so much easier to take the unmarked right turn off the Paraiso road. A hundred meters or less to the fenced off tree. You can see the darker green canopy of the tree from the main road before the turn off.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,644 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: La Llana (aka Yana) ancient tree

Interesting. Took the backroad in January. I don't remember seeing any kind of tidal puddle, but based on a look at the satellite photo it must have been the same road (except there is one short stretch where it splits to a parallel road that looks significantly rougher than the "main" backroad).

When we took it, it was slow going, but the puddles (just a few here and there) and potholes were not much worse than what we navigate in Montreal any day in winter and spring. OK, so I guess that means it was pretty bad.

In any case the warning is valuable... in general the back roads on Cayo Largo seem rough enough that you need to be alert and prepared to go very slow in places.

BTW, the tree is worth a look. It's not exactly one of the world's top tourist attractions but still impressive, especially if it really is as old as they say. Stupidly I didn't take a close-up of any of the leaves, so don't have an easy way to find out the species. The lady at the nursery said the species was, essentially, just some old tree.

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
10,277 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: La Llana (aka Yana) ancient tree

Interesting, the difference a couple of months make.

By comparison, the road to the east beaches wasn't bad a couple of weeks ago. And there were beautiful beaches there this year.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,644 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: La Llana (aka Yana) ancient tree

The main issue we saw with the road to the east beaches was drifting sand and some fairly deep ruts near the end of the road. On the whole it didn't look much different from a year ago. And yes, the beaches out there are beautiful.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: La Llana (aka Yana) ancient tree

I have posted a few Google Map shots of the tree's loacation on my facebook - I will try and load here as well. You can actually see it form the tall ridge just down from the Sol. and if you keep an eye open at the Y section on the way to the beach with the train, you can see it also. It's not far at all from theat main road.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php…

10. Re: La Llana (aka Yana) ancient tree

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 April 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Cayo Largo