We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather and water temp end of february ?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Weather and water temp end of february ?

Hi,

I've been to the north side of Cuba 10 times and after a couple of vacations with cold snaps in the past for Dec and Jan ( been in Havana the week when the temp dropped to 4C during the night) we decided to try Cayo Largo. I wonder what is like compared to Cayo Coco at the end of February ? How about the water temperature ? I usually start my day with a 30 minutes swim in the ocean at 7 am .

Sans Souci...
Level Contributor
323 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather and water temp end of february ?

Hi seby01,

Check out this website, one of the more knowledgeable sites of Cayo Largo, where they state:

***With its sub-tropical climate, Cayo Largo has an almost eternal summer! Temperatures usually average from 22 to 30 degrees Celsius during the day. Being located off the south coast of Cuba in the Caribbean sea, the temperatures in Cayo Largo are generally a few degrees higher than most cities on the great island of Cuba***

http://www.cayolargo.net/weather.html

Near the bottom of this page there is an average overview of the climate of Cayo Largo showing that the average *Sea Temperature* for February (the coolest month overall) is 24.3 degrees celsius = 75.74 degrees fahrenheit.

Hope this helps!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather and water temp end of february ?

Thank's GalivantingGardener. I already looked at this and compared it to what I found online about temp and water temperature in Cayo Coco. It turns out that the water temp is warmer in Cayo Coco but that is hard to believe.

Sans Souci...
Level Contributor
323 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather and water temp end of february ?

That is hard to believe, for sure.

This site that says the average water temps for February in Cayo Largo is 26ºC:

www.zoover.com/cuba/cuba/cayo-largo/weather

Here's one that says the average water temps for February are 24ºC (High 28ºC - Low 17ºC)

holidaycheck.com/di/b9be361b-68ac-32d0-9eee-…

And this one shows current temps and daily temperatures from last February:

water.travel.org.ua/index.php?t_id=569&h=2

However, this last site also states that the temperatures at the shallow areas near the shore may be a little higher than shown here. Perhaps this is what may be causing the discrepancies between the sites?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather and water temp end of february ?

thank you !!!!

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
7,738 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather and water temp end of february ?

The Caribbean, at Cayo Largo, is nice and warm at the end of February. No problem having a morning swim as long as the waves aren't too high.

I usually see a 3-4 degree C higher, difference when compared with Varadero and other unprotected beaches on the Atlantic side.

Have Fun!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4,304 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather and water temp end of february ?

Yes, the Caribbean is like one big bathtub year round. Temps are plenty warm for swimming.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather and water temp end of february ?

Are waves big ? Been to El Salvador last January, had some share of big waves

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
7,738 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather and water temp end of february ?

After a storm in the Caribbean, the waves can be a challenge. We have fun in them but a red flag means stay out. Other times it's smooth as glass when winds are from the mainland.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
98 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather and water temp end of february ?

We were there last year for the last week of feb. the ocean was very warm. The water in the pool at Sol Pelicano was way colder than the ocean for sure. Mind you I will not swim if the water is NOT at least 80F but that's me so with that being said the ocean was for sure warmer than 80F for me to swim in it.

As for the waves during that time of year you will get red/yellow flags most days of the week and it can be really bad especially in the morning so be careful it can be a challenge to swim. I would say your best place to swim that early in the morning in the ocean would be Playa Sirena but not sure you want to do that everyday.

Cheers

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weather and water temp end of february ?

I've looked at weather for CL,It showed 7 C for last night. Cold snap ?